Entrepreneur Smriti Nagpal recognized for encouraging deaf artists in India
April 22, 2018
Smriti Nagpal, a 25-year-old entrepreneur, is in the list of the 100 inspirational women for 2015 by the TV channel, BBC.
Nagpal is the youngest Indian woman to be featured on the list.
She is the brain behind Atulyakala, a social enterprise that provides business opportunities for deaf artists.
Deaf artists are able to sell their products through Atulyakala. This helps them become independent and motivates them to continue with their work.
Nagpal has two siblings, a brother and a sister, who are both deaf. So, she was introduced to sign language at a young age.
Nagpal used to help her siblings communicate with others by acting as their sign language interpreter.
She also became a part of the morning bulletin for deaf people on Doordarshan while in college.
Through Atulyakala, Smriti has touched the lives of deaf artists and provided them much needed exposure.
Atulyakala works in three main areas.
- Deaf artists can sell products such as mugs and bags.
- Clients can also place special requests for design projects.
- Spreading design projects about sign language through workshops, videos, and other resources.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Inclusive Bowling event in Pune is the perfect weekend treat
- Accessibility April 15, 2019 Swarga Foundation workshop at Coimbatore airport builds sensitivity towards needs of disabled travelers
- Get-hooked April 12, 2019 Strong links between diet & signs of autism, say experts
- Get-hooked April 13, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Technology April 18, 2019 #TechThursdays - Smartphone-based therapy & hearing aid could prove a game changer for the deaf community
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Voting in second phase of elections today
- Parasports April 17, 2019 Bethany Society Shillong are champs at the 4th national blind football tournament
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News