Entrepreneur Smriti Nagpal recognized for encouraging deaf artists in India
Smriti Nagpal, a 25-year-old entrepreneur, is in the list of the 100 inspirational women for 2015 by the TV channel, BBC.
Nagpal is the youngest Indian woman to be featured on the list.
She is the brain behind Atulyakala, a social enterprise that provides business opportunities for deaf artists.
Deaf artists are able to sell their products through Atulyakala. This helps them become independent and motivates them to continue with their work.
Nagpal has two siblings, a brother and a sister, who are both deaf. So, she was introduced to sign language at a young age.
Nagpal used to help her siblings communicate with others by acting as their sign language interpreter.
She also became a part of the morning bulletin for deaf people on Doordarshan while in college.
Through Atulyakala, Smriti has touched the lives of deaf artists and provided them much needed exposure.
Atulyakala works in three main areas.
• Deaf artists can sell products such as mugs and bags.
• Clients can also place special requests for design projects.
• Spreading design projects about sign language through workshops, videos, and other resources.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked December 18, 2018 This Bengaluru school is empowering women with disabilities for the job market
- Get-hooked December 12, 2018 Abuse at therapy centres in Kerala under scanner again, government promises redressal
- Headlines December 19, 2018 Prithvi Shaw ruled out of India-Australia Test series
- Headlines December 17, 2018 Indian skipper Virat Kohli strikes 25th test hundred against Australia in style
- Headlines December 18, 2018 Congress leader jailed for life in anti-Sikh riots case
- Get-hooked December 17, 2018 My life is disabled by my environment - Guest column by Diethono Nakhro, disability rights activist
- Get-hooked December 19, 2018 Dilip Mani's tunes have the healing touch for children with disabilities.
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked December 7, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News