Entrepreneur Smriti Nagpal recognized for encouraging deaf artists in India
Smriti Nagpal, a 25-year-old entrepreneur, is in the list of the 100 inspirational women for 2015 by the TV channel, BBC.
Nagpal is the youngest Indian woman to be featured on the list.
She is the brain behind Atulyakala, a social enterprise that provides business opportunities for deaf artists.
Deaf artists are able to sell their products through Atulyakala. This helps them become independent and motivates them to continue with their work.
Nagpal has two siblings, a brother and a sister, who are both deaf. So, she was introduced to sign language at a young age.
Nagpal used to help her siblings communicate with others by acting as their sign language interpreter.
She also became a part of the morning bulletin for deaf people on Doordarshan while in college.
Through Atulyakala, Smriti has touched the lives of deaf artists and provided them much needed exposure.
Atulyakala works in three main areas.
• Deaf artists can sell products such as mugs and bags.
• Clients can also place special requests for design projects.
• Spreading design projects about sign language through workshops, videos, and other resources.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports October 16, 2018 Aiming for gold in 2020 Paralympics, Asian Para Games gold medalist Ekta Bhyan tells Newz Hook
- Accessibility October 19, 2018 Mumbai bookstore Trilogy is helping to spread the word about Braille
- Parasports October 21, 2018 Amputees Vinod Rawat & Ashok Munne show their mettle in world's highest cross-country rally
- Get-hooked October 17, 2018 Sudeep Shukla, India's first deaf MLA candidate looks forward to making history
- Headlines October 19, 2018 Kerala shutdowns after Sabarimala protests intensifies
- Accessibility October 21, 2018 Wheelchair taxi service Ezy Mov is set to go places
- Headlines October 17, 2018 Congress loses majority in Goa as 2 MLAs join BJP
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked October 19, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News