Blind para glider Divyanshu Ganatra heads a company that leads cross disability groups on adventures
April 23, 2018
Divyanshu Ganatra, India's first blind para glider heads a company called Adventures Beyond Barriers Foundation, which aims to lead cross-disability groups on exciting athletic adventures.
In 2016, Ganatra also became India's first blind tandem cyclist to travel the 550-kilometre stretch from Manali to Khardung La in Ladakh, which is one of the most scenic spots in India.
41-old Ganatra spends his weekends cross training. He does some form of exercise for one hour every day.
In November 2017, Ganatra took part in a 30-hour race from Pune to Goa. This meant riding a tandem cycle for 640 kilometres. In 2016, he earned a elementary pilot's license after completing a paragliding course. Later this year he plans to go scuba diving in Bali.
He started Adventures Beyond Barriers Foundation, which is a not-for-profit firm, to promote outdoor and adventure sports for people with and without disabilities.
Ganatra was a student when he found out he had glaucoma, and was going blind. By the age of 19 years, he had lost his vision completely. He wanted to study Information Technology, even though everyone told him that it was not possible for a blind person.
Ganatra's friends and family read chapters from textbooks out to him, and for hands-on practice, he turned to friends who were in the line. In 1996, he set up his own computer consulting firm.
He went on to do a master's degree in clinical psychology and cognitive neuroscience. He later launched a company called Yellow Brick Road, which is a counselling and facilitation firm, with clients like Larsen & Toubro, Mahindra & Mahindra, to name a few.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 13, 2019 SC to hear Modi biopic case on 15 April
- Headlines April 17, 2019 Shatrughan Sinha's wife joins Samajwadi Party
- Accessibility April 12, 2019 Worthy of international medals, but "mentally unsound" to vote – Why this election will elude Asha Kiran home residents
- Accessibility April 13, 2019 Bus stops in Delhi to get audio facilities, says Delhi Transport Corporation
- Headlines April 16, 2019 World Cup Cricket - Indian side announced
- Parasports April 17, 2019 Bethany Society Shillong are champs at the 4th national blind football tournament
- Events April 16, 2019 Learning Through Play Workshop
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News