Australian High Commission hosts inclusive blind cricket match, 1st of its kind in India
The Australian High Commission hosted an Inclusive Blind Cricket Exhibition Match in New Delhi as part of its #Development4All campaign.
Union Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment, Dr Thawarchand Gehlot, flipped a coin to decide which team would play first.
Australia’s Deputy High Commissioner Chris Elstoft and Mr Gehlot also played a few balls before the play started.
The two teams, A and B, had a mix of players from the Indian Blind Cricket team and diplomats from the Australian, British and New Zealand High Commissions.
Team A, which was led by Ajay Kumar Reddy, captain of Indian national blind cricket team, chose to bat first and made a total of 99/5 in six overs.
Chasing down their total, Team B could only make 82 in six overs. Team A won the match by 17 runs.
Ajay Kumar Reddy was also judged man of the match for making an unbeaten 53 off 12 balls in the match.
Amongst the spectators were Mahantesh GK, President, Cricket Association for the Blind in India, and Shakuntala D Gamlin, Secretary, Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities.
Watch in Sign Language
- "After playing for 15 years, I am getting recognition now" - My Take by blind chess champ Kishan Gangolli
February 19, 2019
- Chessbase India bats for disabled players at a time when official support is hard to come by
February 18, 2019
- Sports must be an integral part in lives of people with disabilities. Here is why.
February 18, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports February 19, 2019 "After playing for 15 years, I am getting recognition now" - My Take by blind chess champ Kishan Gangolli
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Get-hooked February 21, 2019 New initiative called iDARE in Goa aims to fight for the rights of disabled people
- Headlines February 19, 2019 Jaish-e-Mohammed's key aide killed in Kashmir
- Technology February 21, 2019 Updated version of Avaz app has plenty to offer, enables access to wider audience
- Events February 21, 2019 Kalakaar 2.0
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Modi flags off Vande Bharat Express, India’s fastest train
- Headlines February 18, 2019 Salman Khan donates for families of Pulwama martyrs
- Headlines February 21, 2019 Court to Anil Ambani - Pay dues or go to jail
- Technology February 17, 2019 Leveraging artificial intelligence for accessibility solutions focus of Microsoft India's Accessibility Summit
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Parasports February 12, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News