Australian High Commission hosts inclusive blind cricket match, 1st of its kind in India
The Australian High Commission hosted an Inclusive Blind Cricket Exhibition Match in New Delhi as part of its #Development4All campaign.
Union Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment, Dr Thawarchand Gehlot, flipped a coin to decide which team would play first.
Australia’s Deputy High Commissioner Chris Elstoft and Mr Gehlot also played a few balls before the play started.
The two teams, A and B, had a mix of players from the Indian Blind Cricket team and diplomats from the Australian, British and New Zealand High Commissions.
Team A, which was led by Ajay Kumar Reddy, captain of Indian national blind cricket team, chose to bat first and made a total of 99/5 in six overs.
Chasing down their total, Team B could only make 82 in six overs. Team A won the match by 17 runs.
Ajay Kumar Reddy was also judged man of the match for making an unbeaten 53 off 12 balls in the match.
Amongst the spectators were Mahantesh GK, President, Cricket Association for the Blind in India, and Shakuntala D Gamlin, Secretary, Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities.
Watch in Sign Language
- Mumbai to host first national throwball & swimming camp this week
October 23, 2018
- India whitewash Sri Lanka, win T20 series 5-0
October 23, 2018
- India take on Sri Lanka in 5th & final match of T20 blind cricket series today
October 22, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines October 17, 2018 Congress loses majority in Goa as 2 MLAs join BJP
- Headlines October 18, 2018 Armed mobs attack women journalists near Sabrimala temple
- Get-hooked October 20, 2018 Chaarana Centre for Special Needs is a haven for disabled children in Bengaluru
- Get-hooked October 20, 2018 Trending stories on Newzhook this week!
- Parasports October 18, 2018 Prime Minister Modi meets India's Para Asian Games players
- Headlines October 19, 2018 Kerala shutdowns after Sabarimala protests intensifies
- Get-hooked October 22, 2018 What matters is how we run the race - Guest Column by Vineet Saraiwala, visually impaired marathoner
- Headlines October 23, 2018 Uttar Pradesh politician's wife arrested on suspicion of killing son
- Education October 20, 2018 Some ways to help kids with autism prepare for exams
- Get-hooked October 20, 2018 21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 – Leprosy Cured persons
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News