Some simple home maintenance tips for your hearing aids
April 25, 2018
Care and regular maintenance can go a long way in extending the life of hearing aids, without resorting to frequent repairs.
Here are some tips that you should follow at home to keep your hearing aids in good working condition for years.
- Wipe with a dry cloth or tissue - Water, moisture and dust can seriously damage electronic devices. So it is advisable to clean hearing aids externally with a soft dry cloth or a soft tissue. Do not use any spray or solvent to clean.
- Use a Stay Dry box or an electric dehumidifier - Before going to sleep at night, put the hearing aids in a Stay Dry Box or an Electric Dehumidifier. It is better to remove the battery and leave the battery compartment open. This allows air to circulate inside the hearing aid and remove the moisture settled on the circuit board. A dehumidifier is a device which removes the moisture collected in the hearing aid due to humidity or sweat. Do not expose your hearing aids to rain or use it in a shower.
- Check for dirt or wax accumulation - If the output in your hearing aid has reduced, first check whether there is a blockage in the opening of the Ear Mould or the ITC or CIC, Chances are that dirt from the hand or earwax has blocked the opening. It is advisable to clean your ears regularly.
- Check the batteries - Always keep spare batteries at hand. In case you are not using the hearing aids for a few days, remove the batteries and store them elsewhere. A leaked battery can damage the internal circuit.
- Keep hearing aids away from heat - Hearing aids have sensitive parts so keep them in a cool, dry place so that they keep working well. Do not keep them in direct sunlight, in the glove compartment of the car while the air conditioner is off, or the car is parked in the sun. Do not use a hair dryer while wearing your hearing aids.
- Keep hearing aids away from sprays, powder etc - Avoid all sprays or powder which can block the hearing aid openings or have solvents in them.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked May 24, 2019 Disability rights activist Prajith Jaipal to hit the road to promote awareness
- Technology May 23, 2019 #TechThursdays - Augmenta11y, an app developed by students, helps children with dyslexia read better
- Get-hooked May 24, 2019 Para athlete Javed Choudhari to dance up a storm on reality show Dance Deewane
- Education May 17, 2019 'Kannada Pustaka' open online library is empowering thousands of visually impaired students
- Headlines May 20, 2019 Delhi Police reacts to Kejriwal’s comment on security
- Headlines May 21, 2019 Huge turnout for #MenToo protests held in Delhi
- Get-hooked May 21, 2019 'We have only one life, so live it to the fullest' - My Take by Krishnakumar PS
- Headlines May 23, 2019 NaMo all the way, BJP-led alliance returns with thumping majority
- Headlines May 23, 2019 Election 2019 - Sensex at 40K as leads show 2nd term for PM Modi
- Headlines May 18, 2019 PM says Congress expects to perform badly
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News