Some simple home maintenance tips for your hearing aids
Care and regular maintenance can go a long way in extending the life of hearing aids, without resorting to frequent repairs.
Here are some tips that you should follow at home to keep your hearing aids in good working condition for years.
- Wipe with a dry cloth or tissue - Water, moisture and dust can seriously damage electronic devices. So it is advisable to clean hearing aids externally with a soft dry cloth or a soft tissue. Do not use any spray or solvent to clean.
- Use a Stay Dry box or an electric dehumidifier - Before going to sleep at night, put the hearing aids in a Stay Dry Box or an Electric Dehumidifier. It is better to remove the battery and leave the battery compartment open. This allows air to circulate inside the hearing aid and remove the moisture settled on the circuit board. A dehumidifier is a device which removes the moisture collected in the hearing aid due to humidity or sweat. Do not expose your hearing aids to rain or use it in a shower.
- Check for dirt or wax accumulation - If the output in your hearing aid has reduced, first check whether there is a blockage in the opening of the Ear Mould or the ITC or CIC, Chances are that dirt from the hand or earwax has blocked the opening. It is advisable to clean your ears regularly.
- Check the batteries - Always keep spare batteries at hand. In case you are not using the hearing aids for a few days, remove the batteries and store them elsewhere. A leaked battery can damage the internal circuit.
- Keep hearing aids away from heat - Hearing aids have sensitive parts so keep them in a cool, dry place so that they keep working well. Do not keep them in direct sunlight, in the glove compartment of the car while the air conditioner is off, or the car is parked in the sun. Do not use a hair dryer while wearing your hearing aids.
- Keep hearing aids away from sprays, powder etc - Avoid all sprays or powder which can block the hearing aid openings or have solvents in them.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked January 15, 2019 Samanvai spreads smiles to lives of disabled people in Hyderabad
- Parasports January 22, 2019 Champions with disabilities display guts & glory at the 2019 Tata Mumbai Marathon
- Get-hooked January 19, 2019 Fed up of delays in updated guidelines for disabled MBBS aspirants, activists approach minister
- Parasports January 20, 2019 Samarthanam Trust, Pinkathon to.organize ultra-marathon for visually impaired people
- Employment January 17, 2019 How to make the workplace suitable for people with disabilities
- Headlines January 16, 2019 Kumbh Mela 2019 begins in Prayagraj
- Events January 17, 2019 India Art Festival- IAF
- Get-hooked January 21, 2019 Teen prodigy Satvik Sharma expresses himself through incredible works of art
- Headlines January 15, 2019 Gujarat becomes first state to implement 10% reservation for general category
- Headlines January 15, 2019 PM Modi tells public to rate government
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked January 13, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News