Some simple home maintenance tips for your hearing aids
April 25, 2018
Care and regular maintenance can go a long way in extending the life of hearing aids, without resorting to frequent repairs.
Here are some tips that you should follow at home to keep your hearing aids in good working condition for years.
- Wipe with a dry cloth or tissue - Water, moisture and dust can seriously damage electronic devices. So it is advisable to clean hearing aids externally with a soft dry cloth or a soft tissue. Do not use any spray or solvent to clean.
- Use a Stay Dry box or an electric dehumidifier - Before going to sleep at night, put the hearing aids in a Stay Dry Box or an Electric Dehumidifier. It is better to remove the battery and leave the battery compartment open. This allows air to circulate inside the hearing aid and remove the moisture settled on the circuit board. A dehumidifier is a device which removes the moisture collected in the hearing aid due to humidity or sweat. Do not expose your hearing aids to rain or use it in a shower.
- Check for dirt or wax accumulation - If the output in your hearing aid has reduced, first check whether there is a blockage in the opening of the Ear Mould or the ITC or CIC, Chances are that dirt from the hand or earwax has blocked the opening. It is advisable to clean your ears regularly.
- Check the batteries - Always keep spare batteries at hand. In case you are not using the hearing aids for a few days, remove the batteries and store them elsewhere. A leaked battery can damage the internal circuit.
- Keep hearing aids away from heat - Hearing aids have sensitive parts so keep them in a cool, dry place so that they keep working well. Do not keep them in direct sunlight, in the glove compartment of the car while the air conditioner is off, or the car is parked in the sun. Do not use a hair dryer while wearing your hearing aids.
- Keep hearing aids away from sprays, powder etc - Avoid all sprays or powder which can block the hearing aid openings or have solvents in them.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked March 21, 2019 In enabling son Advait to unlock his potential, mom Smrithy came into her own as an empowered parent
- Get-hooked March 21, 2019 #WonderWoman - Ketna Mehta is giving people with disabilities wings to fly
- Headlines March 22, 2019 Pakistan will not broadcast IPL 2019 matches
- Headlines March 25, 2019 New Zealand PM Jacinda Ardern wins praise for response to terror attack
- Headlines March 19, 2019 Rahul Gandhi PM Modi over chowkidaar campaign
- Headlines March 25, 2019 111 farmers to contest elections against PM Modi
- Parasports March 25, 2019 Sai Krishna, star athlete at Abu Dhabi Special Games, shattered after losing medal
- Headlines March 21, 2019 All IPL 2019 matches will be played in India
- Events March 20, 2019 Awareness Session on Prevention of Sexual Harassment at Workplace
- Get-hooked March 23, 2019 Disabled people share uncomfortable encounters on social media with hash tag #AbledsAreWeird
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked March 13, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News