Here is how to enjoy an accessible vacation at Kumarakom!
April 24, 2018
Summer is here, and there are many ways to beat the scorching heat. One of it would be an escape to a plush and green holiday destination.
Enable Travel, which organizes accessible holidays in many parts of India and abroad, recommends Kumarakom!.
Kumarakom is a small village located on Vembanad Lake, in the backwaters of Kerala. Kerala is called God's own country due to its immense beauty and greenery that surrounds its villages.
If you have a disability, Enable Travel recommends Coconut Lagoon to stay at. This is a wheelchair accessible resort. There is a place earmarked for entry for accessible vehicles as well. Inside the property, all facilities are accessible for wheelchair users.
The resort depicts authentic houses of Kerala, built in all its simplicity and grandeur. You can treat yourselves with the beauty of the backwaters by accessing their exclusive spaces to chill out. The rooms and villas are wheelchair friendly.
Coconut Lagoon has wide doorways and accessible power outlets. Bathrooms have accessible commodes and roll-in shower facilities. The staff shall also make sure that the needs of disabled guests are taken care of.
Food to die for
If you want to indulge in delicious Kerala food, then Kumarakom has a variety to satisfy you. This small village boasts of authentic Malayali food. Located at the backwaters, seafood is the main highlight. One must try the fresh and spicy seafood prepared by the locals. The fresh catch from the backwaters is world famous. The flavours of spices melt in your mouth. So does the fresh fish!
You must definitely not miss the exclusive Kumarakom Fish curry and Naadan Fish Fry. These are made with fresh varieties of fish like the mackerel, pearlspot, and seerfish. Teamed with brown rice (Kerala special) and fresh curd, these dishes are to die for!
Squid, prawns, quail, and rabbit meat are some of the other delicacies that are available in Kumarakom.
Taking a tour at the backwaters on a boat will be a treat to your eyes. The place will be thronged with tourists during this time due to vacations. But getting hold of a good tour guide will solve all your problems.
Vacation on mind? Now, you know where to head to for an escapade!
Watch in Sign Language
- Dehradun pool forced to grant equal access to disabled adults after official intervention
June 27, 2019
- Deaf Entertainment is bringing the magic of movies to new audiences
June 26, 2019
- Introduction of a wheelchair ramp might not be just what disability rights groups in Chennai asked for
June 26, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 22, 2019 India deploys warships in view of US-Iran conflict
- Accessibility June 22, 2019 With no hearing test facility at Delhi's Safdarjung Hospital, disabled students miss NEET counselling
- Events June 26, 2019 Music therapy for special needs children
- Get-hooked June 25, 2019 Driving change in attitudes towards disability in Jammu-Kashmir - My Take by Dildar Ahmad Shapoo
- Get-hooked June 25, 2019 Snehankit Helpline for visually impaired students is helping them shine in academics
- Headlines June 23, 2019 ‘Kabir Singh’ becomes fourth-highest opener of 2019
- Parasports June 23, 2019 Deaf shooter Dhanush Srikanth stuns the world with performance in regular category
- Get-hooked June 21, 2019 Uber India apology to disability rights activist not enough, call for concrete measures
- Accessibility June 26, 2019 Deaf Entertainment is bringing the magic of movies to new audiences
- Headlines June 23, 2019 Pakistan gets warning to curb terrorism by October
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News