Here is how to enjoy an accessible vacation at Kumarakom!
Summer is here, and there are many ways to beat the scorching heat. One of it would be an escape to a plush and green holiday destination.
Enable Travel, which organizes accessible holidays in many parts of India and abroad, recommends Kumarakom!.
Kumarakom is a small village located on Vembanad Lake, in the backwaters of Kerala. Kerala is called God's own country due to its immense beauty and greenery that surrounds its villages.
If you have a disability, Enable Travel recommends Coconut Lagoon to stay at. This is a wheelchair accessible resort. There is a place earmarked for entry for accessible vehicles as well. Inside the property, all facilities are accessible for wheelchair users.
The resort depicts authentic houses of Kerala, built in all its simplicity and grandeur. You can treat yourselves with the beauty of the backwaters by accessing their exclusive spaces to chill out. The rooms and villas are wheelchair friendly.
Coconut Lagoon has wide doorways and accessible power outlets. Bathrooms have accessible commodes and roll-in shower facilities. The staff shall also make sure that the needs of disabled guests are taken care of.
Food to die for
If you want to indulge in delicious Kerala food, then Kumarakom has a variety to satisfy you. This small village boasts of authentic Malayali food. Located at the backwaters, seafood is the main highlight. One must try the fresh and spicy seafood prepared by the locals. The fresh catch from the backwaters is world famous. The flavours of spices melt in your mouth. So does the fresh fish!
You must definitely not miss the exclusive Kumarakom Fish curry and Naadan Fish Fry. These are made with fresh varieties of fish like the mackerel, pearlspot, and seerfish. Teamed with brown rice (Kerala special) and fresh curd, these dishes are to die for!
Squid, prawns, quail, and rabbit meat are some of the other delicacies that are available in Kumarakom.
Taking a tour at the backwaters on a boat will be a treat to your eyes. The place will be thronged with tourists during this time due to vacations. But getting hold of a good tour guide will solve all your problems.
Vacation on mind? Now, you know where to head to for an escapade!
Watch in Sign Language
- #MeToo moment eludes India's disabled women, Tamil Nadu study reveals extent of invisibility
November 19, 2018
- Iconic film Sholay to be screened with audio description at IFFI 2018
November 18, 2018
- MCI moves towards public consultation on on amendments to disability rules for MBBS students
November 18, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports November 16, 2018 Help blind athletes achieve their best by funding sighted guides, says blind Paralympian Ankur Dhama
- Accessibility November 19, 2018 #MeToo moment eludes India's disabled women, Tamil Nadu study reveals extent of invisibility
- Accessibility November 16, 2018 Filmmaker Rustom Irani to explore legal options against Jet Airways for alleged manhandling on flight
- Get-hooked November 17, 2018 What made Stan Lee's superheroes so magical for children with autism
- Accessibility November 18, 2018 MCI moves towards public consultation on on amendments to disability rules for MBBS students
- Headlines November 14, 2018 Prime Minister Modi launches projects over ₹2,400 crore in Varanasi
- Headlines November 15, 2018 Samsung to launch smartphone with four rear cameras in India this month
- Get-hooked November 15, 2018 Prince Durairaj is on a mission to spread awareness on child sexual abuse
- Get-hooked November 18, 2018 5 things you must know about wheelchair users
- Parasports November 20, 2018 Divyaang Myithri Sports Academy’s wheelchair cricket camp is a success
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked November 17, 2018