Praveen Teotia, India's 1st disabled Ironman, proves he is still a commando in body & spirit!
Praveen Teotia, a former Marine Commando and disabled ironman, has won the prestigious Ironman Triathlon Championship 2018 in South Africa.
Teotia is a Shaurya Chakra winner. During the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks, he was shot in the chest but helped kill terrorists inside the Taj Mahal Hotel.
He suffered a punctured lung and became hearing impaired after a bullet entered his ear. He was later given non-active duty by the navy and became a big motivation for Teotia to compete for the toughest race on earth.
Teotia says that he wanted to prove to himself that he was still a commando in spirit as well as in body. No Navy man from India has ever finished the Triathlon so far.
He did not give up during the race even though a critical part of his cycle crumbled and he fell down on the road and injured himself. He managed to get his cycle fixed and complete the distance of 180.2 km in 7:37 hours.
Teotia is now preparing for America's Ultraman that will be held in February 2019.
Watch in Sign Language
- Chessbase India bats for disabled players at a time when official support is hard to come by
February 18, 2019
- Sports must be an integral part in lives of people with disabilities. Here is why.
February 18, 2019
- Players prep for the National wheelchair cricket match to begin this March
February 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked February 13, 2019 Deaf groups in Pune to protest against Maharashtra government's neglect of their needs
- Get-hooked February 18, 2019 One billion youth face risk of hearing loss, warns United Nations
- Headlines February 13, 2019 Gambhir, other players react to savage attack on Delhi cricket selector
- Get-hooked February 13, 2019 Disabled people are routine targets of abuse by Indian politicians despite laws banning this
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Parenting Corner - Autism in girls
- Accessibility February 13, 2019 Medical Council of India lets down disabled medical aspirants yet again
- Events February 12, 2019 Empowering for Inclusion Summit 2019
- Events February 17, 2019 Meraki – Where Art Exceeds Artists
- Headlines February 15, 2019 40 soldiers killed in J&K attack
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 Disability rights body seeks Health Minister's intervention to overturn guidelines that discriminate against MBBS aspirants
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News