BanjoMaps is a voice activated app to help blind people move around independently
April 24, 2018
Technology is advancing rapidly to make the world inclusive for people with disabilities.
Mobility devices, smartphone apps, and gadgets are helping disabled people move around safely and independently.
A new app has been introduced called BanjoMaps by a start-up in Australia. This can help blind people travel around with ease and locate their destinations.
The voice-activated app is being tested by a blind person, who is also advising the company about changes that can make it work better.
The app uses low-powered Bluetooth radio transmitters installed around a building. These connect with smartphones to help find a path to a particular destination.
The app does not depend on GPS for navigation, like some other apps -Google Maps.
The University of Technology in Sydney is also testing the app. BanjoMaps can help create a smart campus for students with disabilities and make their lives a lot easier.
Watch in Sign Language
- #TechThursdays - Smartphone-based therapy & hearing aid could prove a game changer for the deaf community
April 18, 2019
- Low cost foot orthosis among the promising innovations on display at IIT-Bombay's annual device expo
April 15, 2019
- Developmental disorders can now be diagnosed from home, thanks to this app developed by AIIMS
April 11, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility April 20, 2019 In a first, residents of a mental health centre in Chennai cast their votes. Here's how it happened
- Events April 16, 2019 Learning Through Play Workshop
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Inclusive Bowling event in Pune is the perfect weekend treat
- Headlines April 20, 2019 IPL 2019 - Bengaluru beat Kolkata
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 Road to getting disability certificates filled with barriers for hemophilia patients
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Dialogue in the Dark session at Gujarat National Law University triggers important conversations
- Get-hooked April 22, 2019 A session on managing your own career for people with visual impairments
- Accessibility April 18, 2019 Platforms at Coimbatore railway station will now get lifts
- Accessibility April 16, 2019 Voter Helpline in ISL aims to enable deaf voters make an informed choice
- Headlines April 17, 2019 Notre Dame cathedral in Paris catches fire
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News