BanjoMaps is a voice activated app to help blind people move around independently
Technology is advancing rapidly to make the world inclusive for people with disabilities.
Mobility devices, smartphone apps, and gadgets are helping disabled people move around safely and independently.
A new app has been introduced called BanjoMaps by a start-up in Australia. This can help blind people travel around with ease and locate their destinations.
The voice-activated app is being tested by a blind person, who is also advising the company about changes that can make it work better.
The app uses low-powered Bluetooth radio transmitters installed around a building. These connect with smartphones to help find a path to a particular destination.
The app does not depend on GPS for navigation, like some other apps -Google Maps.
The University of Technology in Sydney is also testing the app. BanjoMaps can help create a smart campus for students with disabilities and make their lives a lot easier.
Watch in Sign Language
- Artificial Intelligence makes a huge impact in lives of disabled people
November 19, 2018
- Engineering student develops app called Myability that speaks out typed text
November 13, 2018
- Manovue glove opens doors to visually impaired people who do not know Braille
November 12, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility November 19, 2018 #MeToo moment eludes India's disabled women, Tamil Nadu study reveals extent of invisibility
- Get-hooked November 17, 2018 What made Stan Lee's superheroes so magical for children with autism
- Get-hooked November 17, 2018 21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 – Multiple Disabilities
- Headlines November 19, 2018 Image of 'Statue of Unity' from space released by American company
- Headlines November 14, 2018 Deepika and Ranveer want wedding guests to donate to charity
- Get-hooked November 13, 2018 "It was like the whole universe came together" - My Take by Ruma Roka, founder, Noida Deaf Society
- Headlines November 13, 2018 Rohit Sharma in list of batsmen with over 200 boundaries in T20Is
- Headlines November 16, 2018 School, colleges shut in parts of Tamil Nadu ahead of Cyclone Gaja
- Headlines November 17, 2018 Mithali Raj is highest T20I run scorer in India, beats Virat Kohli, Rohit Sharma
- Headlines November 13, 2018 Union Minister Ananth Kumar passes away at age of 59
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News