Mumbai senior citizens come together to volunteer as scribes for disabled students
April 24, 2018
A group of senior citizens in Mumbai have come up with a wonderful initiative to help students with disabilities.
These retired seniors are giving their services as scribes or writers for disabled students taking exams.
This will be of great help to special needs students who have to run around and go through great stress during exam time, given the shortage of exam writers or scribes.
Among the volunteers is Sudha Gokhale, a retired banker from Thane, outside Mumbai. She regularly offers her services as a writer for blind students.
Another volunteer Suniti Desai is a 79-year-old retired human resources (HR) professional. She decided to volunteer after hearing about the shortage of writers for disabled students.
The efforts made by these senior citizens will help many disabled students during examinations.
Every year students with disabilities struggle to find writers for their exams.
Many of them fail to get a writer at the last moment, which affects their academic performance.
The Maharashtra government had proposed to set up a Writers' Bank a while back. Little has happened so far on that front.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Voting in second phase of elections today
- Headlines April 13, 2019 Share funding details, court tells political parties
- Accessibility April 14, 2019 Accessibility issues reported from across India on first phase of voting
- Get-hooked April 13, 2019 Hygiene lessons for children with autism can be made fun, here's how
- Technology April 11, 2019 Developmental disorders can now be diagnosed from home, thanks to this app developed by AIIMS
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 #AutismPower - Mumbai's Cafe Arpan is brewing a change, along with great coffee
- Events April 18, 2019 Special Summer Camp
- Get-hooked April 12, 2019 Celebrities step up to support REV-UP campaign for inclusive elections
- Accessibility April 13, 2019 Calcutta High Court rules in favour of medical student with mental disorder who was denied admission
- Headlines April 15, 2019 Elections 2019 - Shatrughan Sinha wants to fight PM Modi
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News