Mumbai senior citizens come together to volunteer as scribes for disabled students
A group of senior citizens in Mumbai have come up with a wonderful initiative to help students with disabilities.
These retired seniors are giving their services as scribes or writers for disabled students taking exams.
This will be of great help to special needs students who have to run around and go through great stress during exam time, given the shortage of exam writers or scribes.
Among the volunteers is Sudha Gokhale, a retired banker from Thane, outside Mumbai. She regularly offers her services as a writer for blind students.
Another volunteer Suniti Desai is a 79-year-old retired human resources (HR) professional. She decided to volunteer after hearing about the shortage of writers for disabled students.
The efforts made by these senior citizens will help many disabled students during examinations.
Every year students with disabilities struggle to find writers for their exams.
Many of them fail to get a writer at the last moment, which affects their academic performance.
The Maharashtra government had proposed to set up a Writers’ Bank a while back. Little has happened so far on that front.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Technology February 17, 2019 Leveraging artificial intelligence for accessibility solutions focus of Microsoft India's Accessibility Summit
- Events February 21, 2019 Free Medical Camp
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 The incredibly gifted Piyush Sharma defies all stereotypes regarding disability
- Get-hooked February 17, 2019 Understanding Rett Syndrome
- Events February 21, 2019 Course in Learning Disabilities from Samadhan Goyam
- Headlines February 21, 2019 Saudi Arabia Crown in India to strengthen ties
- Headlines February 17, 2019 Vande Bharat Express breaks down a day after launch
- Events February 14, 2019 Walkathon for Mental Health Awareness
- Technology February 21, 2019 Updated version of Avaz app has plenty to offer, enables access to wider audience
- Get-hooked February 21, 2019 ‘Punarjani’ gives new lease of life to disabled flood victims in Kerala
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked February 17, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 7, 2019