Mumbai senior citizens come together to volunteer as scribes for disabled students
April 24, 2018
A group of senior citizens in Mumbai have come up with a wonderful initiative to help students with disabilities.
These retired seniors are giving their services as scribes or writers for disabled students taking exams.
This will be of great help to special needs students who have to run around and go through great stress during exam time, given the shortage of exam writers or scribes.
Among the volunteers is Sudha Gokhale, a retired banker from Thane, outside Mumbai. She regularly offers her services as a writer for blind students.
Another volunteer Suniti Desai is a 79-year-old retired human resources (HR) professional. She decided to volunteer after hearing about the shortage of writers for disabled students.
The efforts made by these senior citizens will help many disabled students during examinations.
Every year students with disabilities struggle to find writers for their exams.
Many of them fail to get a writer at the last moment, which affects their academic performance.
The Maharashtra government had proposed to set up a Writers' Bank a while back. Little has happened so far on that front.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 14, 2019 India Vs New Zealand abandoned due to rain
- Headlines June 16, 2019 World Cup: India vs Pakistan today
- Headlines June 17, 2019 Bengal doctors reject Mamata Banerjee's plea to call off strike
- Education June 16, 2019 Delhi University clarifies rules regarding disabled certificate validity for admissions
- Headlines June 17, 2019 Cricket World Cup – India beats Pakistan
- Headlines June 13, 2019 Outrage over Pakistani ad mocking Indian pilot
- Headlines June 16, 2019 Shikhar Dhawan will not be replaced, says Virat
- Headlines June 15, 2019 Bengal doctors' protest spreads to other cities
- Headlines June 13, 2019 PM's 'Mann Ki Baat' resumes on 30 June
- Parasports June 13, 2019 Shekhar Naik Foundation gives hope to aspiring blind cricketers
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News