This NGO in rural Tamil Nadu is enabling kids with disabilities to realize their potential
April 25, 2018
A majority of India's disabled population is based in villages and small towns. However, when it comes to public awareness and facilities, these areas lag behind.
A lack that the NGO Adhiparasakthi Annai Illam, based in a village in Tamil Nadu is working to address. Located in Melmaruvathur, Adhiparasakthi started off as a small physiotherapy unit in 2005.
Today, it looks after the needs of over 150 children with different types of disabilities.
The founder of Adhiparasakthi is Arul Thiru Bangaru Adigalar, lovingly called Amma by the locals. From occupational and vocational therapies to special education, the NGO caters to a range of needs of children in rural areas, under the guidance of the present head, Sridevi Ramesh. Education, food, and transport for their students is given free of cost.
No wonder that Adhiparasakthi 's work was recognized by the Tamil Nadu government in 2008.
We ensure that all the facilities come under one roof. As an institution that caters to disabled children, we are very sensitive towards their requirements. We have set standards and we strive to maintain them every day - Gopinath, Physiotherapy Department Head, Adhiparasakthi
The NGO received an award for being the best institution for rehabilitation in Tamil Nadu from former Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalitha. It also conducts research for the Council of Medical Research of India.
Adhiparasakthi has 25 faculty members and each department has five members. All faculty members are highly experienced in the field. The facilities here like the buildings are accessible for people with disabilities.
Authorities at Adhiparasakthi are working towards making the lives of disabled kids in rural Tamil Nadu better. Given their passion and undying commitment, the future looks brighter for kids with special needs here.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked March 18, 2019 Disability rights rules amended for people with high support needs
- Events March 20, 2019 Downs syndrome free assessment camp
- Events March 20, 2019 Parent Interaction With Jo Chopra
- Get-hooked March 24, 2019 Kolkata school for kids with disabilities to stay shut until investigation into drowning death is over
- Headlines March 24, 2019 PM Modi wishes Imran Khan on Pakistan’s National Day
- Get-hooked March 24, 2019 Understanding Ataxia
- Headlines March 19, 2019 Rahul Gandhi PM Modi over chowkidaar campaign
- Get-hooked March 21, 2019 #WonderWoman - Ketna Mehta is giving people with disabilities wings to fly
- Headlines March 24, 2019 BJP drops Shatrughan Sinha from candidate list
- Events March 19, 2019 Annual Seminar on Inclusion & Accessibility of Deaf
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News