This NGO in rural Tamil Nadu is enabling kids with disabilities to realize their potential
A majority of India’s disabled population is based in villages and small towns. However, when it comes to public awareness and facilities, these areas lag behind.
A lack that the NGO Adhiparasakthi Annai Illam, based in a village in Tamil Nadu is working to address. Located in Melmaruvathur, Adhiparasakthi started off as a small physiotherapy unit in 2005.
Today, it looks after the needs of over 150 children with different types of disabilities.
The founder of Adhiparasakthi is Arul Thiru Bangaru Adigalar, lovingly called Amma by the locals. From occupational and vocational therapies to special education, the NGO caters to a range of needs of children in rural areas, under the guidance of the present head, Sridevi Ramesh. Education, food, and transport for their students is given free of cost.
No wonder that Adhiparasakthi ‘s work was recognized by the Tamil Nadu government in 2008.
We ensure that all the facilities come under one roof. As an institution that caters to disabled children, we are very sensitive towards their requirements. We have set standards and we strive to maintain them every day – Gopinath, Physiotherapy Department Head, Adhiparasakthi
The NGO received an award for being the best institution for rehabilitation in Tamil Nadu from former Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalitha. It also conducts research for the Council of Medical Research of India.
Adhiparasakthi has 25 faculty members and each department has five members. All faculty members are highly experienced in the field. The facilities here like the buildings are accessible for people with disabilities.
Authorities at Adhiparasakthi are working towards making the lives of disabled kids in rural Tamil Nadu better. Given their passion and undying commitment, the future looks brighter for kids with special needs here.
Watch in Sign Language
- Some common misconceptions about Braille
January 24, 2019
- Some things to avoid when you parent a child with autism
January 23, 2019
- The Headway Foundation's annual Rendezvous promises some exciting announcements
January 23, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines January 24, 2019 Piyush Goyal takes charge of finance
- Accessibility January 22, 2019 From ground up to policy level, Multiple Sclerosis Society of India speaks for patients
- Parasports January 24, 2019 Over 200 chess players sign up for annual tournament in Hyderabad
- Events January 21, 2019 Agra Deaf Enable Society- Republic Day Event
- Events January 18, 2019 Rapid & Blitz Chess Tournament
- Get-hooked January 19, 2019 Trending stories on Newzhook this week!
- Events January 20, 2019 Cognitive Approach to Autism Management
- Headlines January 23, 2019 PM Modi’s gifts to be auctioned for Ganga
- Events January 20, 2019 Deaf Awareness India- Guests Lecture
- Technology January 23, 2019 Inspiration is just a phone call away thanks to EnAble Vaani
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News