This NGO in rural Tamil Nadu is enabling kids with disabilities to realize their potential
April 25, 2018
A majority of India's disabled population is based in villages and small towns. However, when it comes to public awareness and facilities, these areas lag behind.
A lack that the NGO Adhiparasakthi Annai Illam, based in a village in Tamil Nadu is working to address. Located in Melmaruvathur, Adhiparasakthi started off as a small physiotherapy unit in 2005.
Today, it looks after the needs of over 150 children with different types of disabilities.
The founder of Adhiparasakthi is Arul Thiru Bangaru Adigalar, lovingly called Amma by the locals. From occupational and vocational therapies to special education, the NGO caters to a range of needs of children in rural areas, under the guidance of the present head, Sridevi Ramesh. Education, food, and transport for their students is given free of cost.
No wonder that Adhiparasakthi 's work was recognized by the Tamil Nadu government in 2008.
We ensure that all the facilities come under one roof. As an institution that caters to disabled children, we are very sensitive towards their requirements. We have set standards and we strive to maintain them every day - Gopinath, Physiotherapy Department Head, Adhiparasakthi
The NGO received an award for being the best institution for rehabilitation in Tamil Nadu from former Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalitha. It also conducts research for the Council of Medical Research of India.
Adhiparasakthi has 25 faculty members and each department has five members. All faculty members are highly experienced in the field. The facilities here like the buildings are accessible for people with disabilities.
Authorities at Adhiparasakthi are working towards making the lives of disabled kids in rural Tamil Nadu better. Given their passion and undying commitment, the future looks brighter for kids with special needs here.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Technology May 13, 2019 Google’s new project to use artificial intelligence to accommodate speech impairments
- Get-hooked May 17, 2019 Accessibility among 5 areas under focus in 11th edition of NASSCOM Social Innovation Forum
- Headlines May 17, 2019 Pakistani air space to remain shut for Indian flights till 30 May
- Events May 15, 2019 Interpreting & Using Children’s Drawings as Tools for Diagnosis
- Get-hooked May 15, 2019 "Treat us as equals" - Disabled staff manning voting booth in Delhi send out a loud, clear message
- Headlines May 19, 2019 PM Modi responds to title of 'Divider in Chief'
- Headlines May 15, 2019 Re-polling ordered for Faridabad constituency
- Headlines May 18, 2019 PM says Congress expects to perform badly
- Accessibility May 14, 2019 Beyond Braille series brings to blind children a new visual language
- Headlines May 19, 2019 Virat is 1st cricketer with 100 million fans on social media
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News