This NGO in rural Tamil Nadu is enabling kids with disabilities to realize their potential
April 25, 2018
A majority of India's disabled population is based in villages and small towns. However, when it comes to public awareness and facilities, these areas lag behind.
A lack that the NGO Adhiparasakthi Annai Illam, based in a village in Tamil Nadu is working to address. Located in Melmaruvathur, Adhiparasakthi started off as a small physiotherapy unit in 2005.
Today, it looks after the needs of over 150 children with different types of disabilities.
The founder of Adhiparasakthi is Arul Thiru Bangaru Adigalar, lovingly called Amma by the locals. From occupational and vocational therapies to special education, the NGO caters to a range of needs of children in rural areas, under the guidance of the present head, Sridevi Ramesh. Education, food, and transport for their students is given free of cost.
No wonder that Adhiparasakthi 's work was recognized by the Tamil Nadu government in 2008.
We ensure that all the facilities come under one roof. As an institution that caters to disabled children, we are very sensitive towards their requirements. We have set standards and we strive to maintain them every day - Gopinath, Physiotherapy Department Head, Adhiparasakthi
The NGO received an award for being the best institution for rehabilitation in Tamil Nadu from former Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalitha. It also conducts research for the Council of Medical Research of India.
Adhiparasakthi has 25 faculty members and each department has five members. All faculty members are highly experienced in the field. The facilities here like the buildings are accessible for people with disabilities.
Authorities at Adhiparasakthi are working towards making the lives of disabled kids in rural Tamil Nadu better. Given their passion and undying commitment, the future looks brighter for kids with special needs here.
Watch in Sign Language
- #RareDiseases - Poor awareness & support among the challenges people with Sturge-Weber syndrome face in India
July 18, 2019
- Trolled for a disability, UPSC topper Ira Singhal highlights need for inclusive education
July 18, 2019
- Relief for deaf youth studying at Bengaluru technical training centre
July 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Education July 17, 2019 Kerala High Court upholds guidelines for therapy centres in the state
- Lifestyle July 17, 2019 No lace sports shoes for kids – Affordable, convenient and takes away the pain!
- Headlines July 15, 2019 ‘Chandrayaan 2’ launch called off after technical slag
- Headlines July 18, 2019 Dhoni unlikely for next tour, to be part of transitioning phase
- Get-hooked July 14, 2019 An instinctive, nurturing approach enables this music teacher to unearth talents in disabled students
- Parasports July 14, 2019 Para chess champ Jennitha Anto does India proud yet again
- Headlines July 13, 2019 Hrithik Roshan’s ‘Super 30’ hits theatres
- Accessibility July 15, 2019 Western Railways’ monsoon helpdesks for disabled people, elderly are a winning idea
- Technology July 12, 2019 Excessive TV watching could trigger symptoms of ADHD in kids, says study
- Headlines July 16, 2019 Over 50 people dead, 30 missing in Nepal floods
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News