This NGO in rural Tamil Nadu is enabling kids with disabilities to realize their potential
A majority of India’s disabled population is based in villages and small towns. However, when it comes to public awareness and facilities, these areas lag behind.
A lack that the NGO Adhiparasakthi Annai Illam, based in a village in Tamil Nadu is working to address. Located in Melmaruvathur, Adhiparasakthi started off as a small physiotherapy unit in 2005.
Today, it looks after the needs of over 150 children with different types of disabilities.
The founder of Adhiparasakthi is Arul Thiru Bangaru Adigalar, lovingly called Amma by the locals. From occupational and vocational therapies to special education, the NGO caters to a range of needs of children in rural areas, under the guidance of the present head, Sridevi Ramesh. Education, food, and transport for their students is given free of cost.
No wonder that Adhiparasakthi ‘s work was recognized by the Tamil Nadu government in 2008.
We ensure that all the facilities come under one roof. As an institution that caters to disabled children, we are very sensitive towards their requirements. We have set standards and we strive to maintain them every day – Gopinath, Physiotherapy Department Head, Adhiparasakthi
The NGO received an award for being the best institution for rehabilitation in Tamil Nadu from former Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalitha. It also conducts research for the Council of Medical Research of India.
Adhiparasakthi has 25 faculty members and each department has five members. All faculty members are highly experienced in the field. The facilities here like the buildings are accessible for people with disabilities.
Authorities at Adhiparasakthi are working towards making the lives of disabled kids in rural Tamil Nadu better. Given their passion and undying commitment, the future looks brighter for kids with special needs here.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked October 18, 2018 Staying fit with a disability is easy, here are some tips
- Get-hooked October 17, 2018 Check out these reasons to not miss out on Dandiya this Navratri
- Accessibility October 16, 2018 Check out these accessible holiday destinations in India
- Get-hooked October 16, 2018 An open letter to Goa Governor, Mridula Sinha - My Take by Monika Kshatriya
- Get-hooked October 15, 2018 Sarbojonin in name only, not in practice - Guest column by Arita Acharjee & Annesha Dasgupta
- Get-hooked October 13, 2018 Government announces scholarships for students with disabilities
- Parasports October 15, 2018 Top sports brand Nike's move to sign up athlete with cerebral palsy hailed
- Headlines October 14, 2018 Industry 4.0 will create jobs, said Prime Minister Narendra Modi
- Get-hooked October 12, 2018 Some ways to celebrate an inclusive dandiya festival
- Parasports October 17, 2018 Deepak Malik's century gives India lead against Sri Lanka in Blind Cricket Twenty20 series
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News