This deaf bird keeper at Singapore's Jurong Bird Park has a rare gift
April 26, 2018
Razali Mohamad Habidin is a star attraction at the Jurong Bird Park in Singapore.
Habidin has a close connection with the birds under his care. It is such a rare bond that the other members of the staff here call him the bird whisperer.
Razali, who lost 80% of his hearing after he fell ill as a baby, started working at the park over 20 years ago. Today he is the deputy head avian keeper at the Jurong Bird Park, a popular tourist attraction.
Razali communicates with the birds through grunts, gestures, and body languages. He recognizes each bird by their behaviour and personalities.
Other staff members say that he has a rare way of connecting with the birds. He knows just by looking at them if they are sick.
Razali leads a large team and gives them instructions through hand gestures. He understands what his colleagues say by lip reading them.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports April 17, 2019 London will now host the ninth World Para Swimming Championship
- Headlines April 13, 2019 Black Hole image creator is a media star
- Headlines April 12, 2019 IPL 2019- CSK beats RR
- Education April 11, 2019 #AutismPower - Chennai's CanBridge Academy offers work & life skills training for disabled youth
- Get-hooked April 13, 2019 Hygiene lessons for children with autism can be made fun, here's how
- Accessibility April 16, 2019 Voter Helpline in ISL aims to enable India's deaf community to make an informed choice in this election
- Get-hooked April 14, 2019 This programme claims to empower kids with developmental disorders through virtual training
- Accessibility April 17, 2019 Election Commission's PwD App has a welcome update for visually impaired voters
- Events April 11, 2019 Conversations on Mental Health – On Self Care
- Get-hooked April 12, 2019 #GetMoneywise - Don't play too safe with your money, look at ways to invest smartly
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News