5 things to remember when interacting with a person on wheelchair
Do you know someone who is on a wheelchair? Then these 5 tips will be of help to you. Being disabled does not mean that the person does not understand the normal human behaviour. When you interact with someone on a wheelchair, be normal. Disabled people do not need sympathies. They are just as smart as you or me!
Disabled people are capable of achieving things. They might not achieve it like how an abled person does. They do it differently. Disabled people might take time to learn new things. Being patient is the best way to befriend them.
Watch what you talk
Knowing what you talk to them is very important. Do not use demeaning words and sympathetic sentences. No one likes to be sympathised! Physical challenges have nothing to do with a person’s intelligence. It is all about the effort that you take to listen to what the other person is saying.
Use appropriate tones
Disabled people like to be talked to them! They do not appreciate talking down to them. Make an eye contact when you interact. Do not talk to them like how you would talk to a child. A disabled person can often find that extremely demeaning.
Do not stare at the wheelchair!
Want to ask a person on wheelchair something? Go and ask them. Do not stand in a corner and stare at them. No human being likes to be stalked or stared! Curiosity is fine. But know your limits.
Treat everyone with respect
This is the golden rule. Treat every person the way you want them to treat you back!
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines February 14, 2019 CAG report on Rafale deal brings relief to Modi government
- Parasports February 15, 2019 First ever sound ball tennis workshop in Mumbai for people with visual impairments
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Kashmir attack - Pakistan under pressure to end support to terror groups
- Accessibility February 18, 2019 Kozhikode Art Gallery under fire for blocking access to wheelchair users
- Headlines February 18, 2019 Salman Khan donates for families of Pulwama martyrs
- Get-hooked February 21, 2019 New initiative called iDARE in Goa aims to fight for the rights of disabled people
- Parasports February 16, 2019 Inclusive tandem-cycling expedition #M2k2019 is back, this time even more scenic & challenging
- Events February 17, 2019 Mumbai Memory Cafe- Session 3
- Headlines February 15, 2019 Gully Boy hits theatres
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked February 12, 2019
Get-hooked February 11, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News