5 things to remember when interacting with a person on wheelchair
April 28, 2018
Do you know someone who is on a wheelchair? Then these 5 tips will be of help to you. Being disabled does not mean that the person does not understand the normal human behaviour. When you interact with someone on a wheelchair, be normal. Disabled people do not need sympathies. They are just as smart as you or me!
Disabled people are capable of achieving things. They might not achieve it like how an abled person does. They do it differently. Disabled people might take time to learn new things. Being patient is the best way to befriend them.
Watch what you talk
Knowing what you talk to them is very important. Do not use demeaning words and sympathetic sentences. No one likes to be sympathised! Physical challenges have nothing to do with a person's intelligence. It is all about the effort that you take to listen to what the other person is saying.
Use appropriate tones
Disabled people like to be talked to them! They do not appreciate talking down to them. Make an eye contact when you interact. Do not talk to them like how you would talk to a child. A disabled person can often find that extremely demeaning.
Do not stare at the wheelchair!
Want to ask a person on wheelchair something? Go and ask them. Do not stand in a corner and stare at them. No human being likes to be stalked or stared! Curiosity is fine. But know your limits.
Treat everyone with respect
This is the golden rule. Treat every person the way you want them to treat you back!
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked June 19, 2019 Love, Marriage & Disability - couples share their stories
- Technology June 20, 2019 #TechThursdays - Flexmo, a one-of-its-kind crutch, is engineered for all terrain types
- Parasports June 20, 2019 Sonakshi Sinha likely to play the part of Paralympian Deepa Malik
- Accessibility June 26, 2019 Social media thread highlights barriers faced by disabled candidates at exam halls across India
- Headlines June 22, 2019 Injury scares hit Indian cricket team
- Education June 20, 2019 #ChangeMakers - An idol to many, Elizabeth Philip keeps inspiring through her relentless work
- Education June 19, 2019 Parents, special educators group files RTI into status of inclusive education in Kerala
- Accessibility June 26, 2019 Introduction of a wheelchair ramp might not be just what disability rights groups in Chennai asked for
- Parasports June 23, 2019 Deaf shooter Dhanush Srikanth stuns the world with performance in regular category
- Get-hooked June 25, 2019 Driving change in attitudes towards disability in Jammu-Kashmir - My Take by Dildar Ahmad Shapoo
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News