5 things to remember when interacting with a person on wheelchair
Do you know someone who is on a wheelchair? Then these 5 tips will be of help to you. Being disabled does not mean that the person does not understand the normal human behaviour. When you interact with someone on a wheelchair, be normal. Disabled people do not need sympathies. They are just as smart as you or me!
Disabled people are capable of achieving things. They might not achieve it like how an abled person does. They do it differently. Disabled people might take time to learn new things. Being patient is the best way to befriend them.
Watch what you talk
Knowing what you talk to them is very important. Do not use demeaning words and sympathetic sentences. No one likes to be sympathised! Physical challenges have nothing to do with a person’s intelligence. It is all about the effort that you take to listen to what the other person is saying.
Use appropriate tones
Disabled people like to be talked to them! They do not appreciate talking down to them. Make an eye contact when you interact. Do not talk to them like how you would talk to a child. A disabled person can often find that extremely demeaning.
Do not stare at the wheelchair!
Want to ask a person on wheelchair something? Go and ask them. Do not stand in a corner and stare at them. No human being likes to be stalked or stared! Curiosity is fine. But know your limits.
Treat everyone with respect
This is the golden rule. Treat every person the way you want them to treat you back!
Watch in Sign Language
- This Bengaluru school is empowering women with disabilities for the job market
December 18, 2018
- How a trek led to the start of a larger journey - My Take by P Devendra, Founder, Nayan Foundation
December 18, 2018
- My life is disabled by my environment - Guest column by Diethono Nakhro, disability rights activist
December 17, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked December 15, 2018 21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 - Hearing Impairment - Deaf and hard of hearing
- Headlines December 17, 2018 P V Sindhu makes history, becomes 1st Indian to win BWF World Tour title
- Headlines December 14, 2018 Kamal Nath will be Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister
- Headlines December 14, 2018 Isha Ambani & Anand Piramal ties the knot at Ambani’s residence in Mumbai
- Get-hooked December 14, 2018 Miracle on Wheels is transforming lives of thousands of wheelchair users in India
- Parasports December 16, 2018 India roots for Arunima Sinha as she sets to scale Antarctica's highest peak
- Headlines December 14, 2018 Senior BJP leader questions choice of new RBI governor, party embarrassed
- Headlines December 12, 2018 Election results from 5 states, massive disappointment for BJP
- Get-hooked December 14, 2018 Diabetes-related eye diseases is the leading cause of blindness in India, says study
- Get-hooked December 13, 2018 Come 16 December, Bengaluru will host a car rally for awareness on autism
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Employment December 11, 2018