North Central railway introduces Braille stickers in train coaches
The North Central railway has installed Braille stickers in selective train coaches. This will be of great help to blind passengers travelling between important stations. Currently, stickers are installed in trains to Delhi. But officials confirm that trains to other cities will soon be provided with this facility.
Prayagraj Express (Allahabad to New Delhi), Shram-Shakti Express (Kanpur to New Delhi) and the Kanpur-New Delhi Shatabdi are the trains that have Braille stickers now. A train from Allahabad to Jaipur is also given this facility.
Currently, all trains have instructions and seat numbers written only on flat vinyl stickers and metallic plates. This cannot be used by blind passengers.
The Agra division of Indian railways is gearing up to bring more Braille stickers for blind passengers in new coaches. Eleven trains under the Agra division will soon bring out Braille stickers for their coaches. These include the New Delhi-Agra Intercity Express and Agra-Jhansi train. Braille printing will be superimposed on stickers for blind passengers.
The Varanasi-Mysuru Express is the first train to have Braille stickers. The initiative was launched and financed in 2016 by the Mysuru Member of Parliament, Pratap Simha.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines December 5, 2018 Five people arrested in killing of police officer at Uttar Pradesh
- Technology December 5, 2018 Assistive technology makes life simpler for children with learning disabilities
- Accessibility December 7, 2018 Disability Heroes - Prajith Jaipal is out to create a new India, accessible & barrier-free
- Headlines December 9, 2018 Resolving 26/11 Mumbai attacks is in Pakistan's interest, says Imran Khan
- Headlines December 8, 2018 PM Narendra Modi meets UP Chief Minister on Bulandshahr violence
- Accessibility December 4, 2018 Chennai's iconic Marina Beach turns accessible for two days
- Headlines December 7, 2018 Deepika Padukone made 112 crore this year, makes it to top 5 of Forbes’ list
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News