Meet Harinder Pal Singh, founder of India’s 1st disabled bhangra dance troupe!
April 28, 2018
Harinder Pal Singh from Chandigarh is all about confidence, determination, and hard-work. He is 70% disabled in his left leg. But that has not stopped him from chasing his passion. It has led him to found a bhangra team, with members who are all disabled as well!
The bhangra troupe was launched in the early 90s and has been rocking the world since. The troupe has even entered the Limca Book of World Records as the first physically handicapped folk dance troupe in India.
Everyone likes to shake a leg to some good music. So did Harinder! In 1989, a bhangra troupe from Chandigarh was all set to play for an event. But they ran short of one person in the troupe.
That is when Harinder stepped in. He was rejected and mocked for his disability. However, it was not easy to get a break. Onlookers and organizers were doubtful that he would be able to put up a good show. Harinder then decided to start his own bhangra troupe with disabled people. That is how his journey began.
The troupe has performed at various countries across the globe. People from the United Kingdom, United States and Canada have looked in awe at their performances.
In 2000, Harinder Pal Singh was honoured with the National Youth Award by the Union Ministry of Sports and Youth Affairs. He received the award for inspiring thousands of disabled people to start dancing and move out of their wheelchairs.
After all, why should disability stop you from doing what you love!
Read more on Newz Hook
- Education June 21, 2019 American College in Madurai introduces disability studies in syllabus
- Get-hooked June 23, 2019 Best friends Mary Vincy & Mary Jiya shares their success mantras
- Headlines June 21, 2019 Finance Minister to present budget on 5 July
- Headlines June 25, 2019 RBI Deputy Governor resigns
- Get-hooked June 20, 2019 Nandavanam centre is changing lives of disabled kids with a blend of tradition & compassion
- Events June 20, 2019 With This Ability - Comedy and Conversation with Sweta Mantrii
- Get-hooked June 23, 2019 Making a difference – Quick Tips for budding social entrepreneurs
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News