#RampMyCity campaign inspires 8 restaurants in Bengaluru to make their venues accessible for all
April 29, 2018
Bengaluru-based entrepreneur Prateek Khandelwal started the #RampMyCity campaign in the city in December 2017 after he found out that most restaurants were not accessible to people with disabilities.
Khandewal reached out to the managers of eight high-end restaurants across Bengaluru.
These included Farzi Cafe in UB City, Big Brewsky at Sarjapur Road, Ebony at MG Road, Rock Salt at SBI Road, Olive Beach and Toast and Tonic on Wood Street, and Lady Baga and Soda Bottle Opener Wala at Lavelle Road.
All these restaurants have now made sure their venues are accessible.
Khandewal says he loves to go out and noticed that while many places claim to be accessible, they are actually the opposite.
Instead of ridiculing them, he started this initiative.
He sent a tweet to Zorawar Kalra, owner of Massive restaurants, on Twitter. Soon after, Kalra's team fixed a meeting with Khandelwal and in a few weeks, the ramp was built. Khandelwal got a similar response from many of the other restaurants as well.
Now four out of the six restaurants Khandelwal approached have set up ramps. Many more are working towards making their premises disabled friendly.
Khandelwal has also sent specific requests to make sure that the staff is well-trained to cater to the needs of disabled customers.
He has now directed his attention to mid-priced eateries. He says this is his first step towards creating an inclusive India and an accessible Bengaluru.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines March 25, 2019 New Zealand PM Jacinda Ardern wins praise for response to terror attack
- Get-hooked March 23, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Events March 20, 2019 Session by Smrithy Rajesh
- Events March 20, 2019 On The Path To Success - My Journey With My Child
- Events March 20, 2019 4th National Blind Football Tournament
- Headlines March 19, 2019 Anil Ambani pays dues, avoids jail term
- Events March 19, 2019 Annual Seminar on Inclusion & Accessibility of Deaf
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News