Tips to learn non-verbal communication
May 6, 2018
Communicating with people around us is part of life.
For some children with disabilities, communication through spoken words may not be possible.
There are several disorders that can affect the way children communicate. In these cases non-verbal communication can be used for interaction.
Non-verbal communication is made up of visual factors such as body language, appearance, voice, and touch.
The child needs to learn motor skills to be able to point or touch an object while communicating. It has been found that using visual communication is more meaningful and motivating to children with autism.
The best way to help children learn is through a method of fun and games.
Here are some tips that can help special needs children learn non-verbal communication.
- Stay close to the child so that they pay attention to you and are focused on you.
- Use simple toys such as colorful balls, play dough, Lego sets, dolls, drawing tools, marbles, water beads, musical toys, puppets, swings, slides, to teach about sharing and holding objects.
- Use drawing and puzzles to encourage fine motor skills. Other toys such as construction sets and building blocks can be used to improve grasp and coordination.
- Instead of pointing to an object, ask the child to touch and indicate.
- Different activities can be played such as sorting similar colored or shaped objects from a bunch. Matching similar objects can help the child to learn to identify different objects.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility August 20, 2019 #InclusionChamps – Sabke Liye initiative wins Future Retail Limited national disability award
- Get-Hooked August 20, 2019 Inclusive Spotfix initiative to beauty Bangalore roads
- Get-Hooked August 14, 2019 Young innovator Prashant Gade seeks support to give prosthetic arms for free to the needy
- Headlines August 19, 2019 Kerala nun seeks justice from the Vatican
- Parasports August 15, 2019 India triumph at Physical Disability World Cricket Series, will BCCI finally take note?
- Headlines August 14, 2019 Arrest warrant against Congress MP Shashi Tharoor
- Get-Hooked August 13, 2019 Enjoy this Independence Day with an inclusive trek at Raigad, Maharashtra
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-Hooked August 20, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News