United States military uses a pen made by blind people for 50 years
April 30, 2018
A simple ballpoint pen is used by the military and the United States federal government. Not many people are aware that the pens used are made by blind people.
These pens are called SKILCRAFT U.S. Government pens and they are in use for the last 50 years.
The pen was introduced to the U.S government by the National Industries for the Blind in April 1968. Since then they are being used regularly in military and government departments.
The pens have certain fixed requirements. For instance, they should be able tow rite 16 pages and they must write in a continuous line that is 1.6 kilometers long.
The pens should keep the ink flowing even in extreme temperatures.
For the past 50 years, these pens made by blind workers are being used by thousands of military personnel and government employees.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events April 18, 2019 Playful Parenting for Happier Urban Families
- Headlines April 19, 2019 ‘Kalank’ is highest grosser on opening day for 2019
- Headlines April 16, 2019 IPL 2019 - Mumbai beat Bengaluru
- Accessibility April 13, 2019 Calcutta High Court rules in favour of medical student with mental disorder who was denied admission
- Headlines April 15, 2019 Elections 2019 - Shatrughan Sinha wants to fight PM Modi
- Headlines April 14, 2019 Amitabh Bachchan pays 70 crore tax
- Get-hooked April 13, 2019 Hygiene lessons for children with autism can be made fun, here's how
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News