29 disabled candidates make it to selections for the Indian Administrative Services!
May 1, 2018
Over 29 people with disabilities have made it to the Indian Administrative Services this year. Of these nine are people with mobility impairments, eight have visual impairments, while 12 are deaf and hard of hearing.
These candidates say they were able to make it this far thanks to a lot of hard work and support from people who encouraged them to look beyond their disability.
Among the top candidates is Saumya Sharma, who stood ninth and has a hearing impairment. She said that she studied for a minimum nine hours every day. Even though she had high fever during the exam and was on saline drip, she did not lose heart.
The results of the Civil Services examination also prove the importance of inclusivity in the education system. Balalatha Mallavarapu, who has ranked 167, faced discrimination in school years because she had polio.
Her classmates would refuse to sit with heras they feared getting infected. The bias was so bad that she opted for home schooling until graduation.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines May 18, 2019 PM says Congress expects to perform badly
- Events May 15, 2019 Movie Screening on Mental Health Awareness
- Headlines May 13, 2019 Fate of prominent leaders decided on 6th phase of voting
- Headlines May 16, 2019 Saurav Ganguly says Pakistan is a World Cup favourite
- Events May 16, 2019 Na Main Na Hain
- Headlines May 16, 2019 Violence in West Bengal over vandalising of iconic statue
- Headlines May 15, 2019 Jet Airways CEO Amit Agarwal quits citing personal reasons
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News