Over 100 players take part in 3rd edition of National Blind Football Tournament
The Indian Blind Football Federation (IBFF) recently held the third edition of All India Invitational Blind Football Tournament in Kochi in Kerala.
More than 100 players from across India took part in the tournament. The Round Robin League Games were played from 27 to 29 Aprilat the Alwaye Blind School Grounds.
The IBFF is an independent federation formed in 2016. It is affiliated to the Paralympic Committee of India and IBSA, New Delhi and promoted by Society for Rehabilitation of the Visually Challenged, Kochi.
Blind Football is an exciting, fast paced 5-a-side football played by visually impaired athletes using a ball with a noise-making device inside.
Rules of blind football
It is played on a smaller pitch on an enclosed court, and was introduced as a Paralympic event in 2004.
There is more dribbling and short passing than in the mainstream sport, and crowds remain quiet during play to ensure that players can hear the ball, their team-mates and opposition players.
Matches are played between two teams, on a ground size of 40 m X 20 m, each with four outfield players and a goalkeeper.
The outfield players are visually impaired (VI) and wear eyeshades to ensure fairness. However, the goalkeeper may be fully or partially sighted. The pitch is surrounded with a rebound wall and the sport is played with no throw-ins and no offside rule, which ensures non-stop action.
Matches are played over two halves of 25 minutes each, plus 10 minutes for half-time. All players are blindfolded before a game so that this becomes a level playing field for all players – partial or fully blind. (ANI)
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines December 11, 2018 Farmer sells 2,000-kg onion for 6/-, sends money to top politician
- Get-hooked December 8, 2018 Trending stories on Newzhook this week!
- Headlines December 13, 2018 India vs Australia - Prithvi Shaw will miss second Test
- Events December 9, 2018 Mumbai Memory Cafe
- Headlines December 9, 2018 Resolving 26/11 Mumbai attacks is in Pakistan's interest, says Imran Khan
- Get-hooked December 11, 2018 Samarthanam's Bengaluru Walkathon highlights inclusion in digital media
- Events December 8, 2018 Poetry and Talent Nite at Mitr
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News