Here are five must-have foods in the Indian summer
Summer is at its peak, and the hot weather is definitely taking a toll on us! It is that time of the year when health has to be given importance. Staying hydrated is extremely important. The extreme weather conditions and heat can affect your health in many ways. The best way to beat the heat is by eating right. Check out these five foods that are a must have this summer.
- Curd - We use curd in many dishes. It is added as a side dish with rice and roti as well. Curd gives a cooling effect to your body. So if you are tired of the regular curd, you can try different forms of it. Lassis (flavoured) and buttermilk are some of the most common ones. You can also have curd by adding some seasonal fruits to it. This will be a perfect and healthy snack to beat summer!
- Coconut water - This is one of the most popular summer drinks. Coconut water is cheaper and is loaded with vitamins, minerals and other nutrients. The cooling properties in coconut water save you from extreme heat. Studies say that people who drink coconut water on a regular basis are lesser prone to cancer.
- Onions - Yes, you heard that right. Onions helps you to beat summer woes. It has cooling properties. If you do not like to eat them raw, mix it with lemon and some salt. Onions are rich in quercetin. This is a natural anti-allergen for the body. Daily intake of onion also helps protect you from sun-stroke!
- Green Leafy Vegetables - Veggies like Spinach, cauliflower and broccoli are extremely important in your diet. They are rich in many nutrients, mainly iron content. They are best for summer because they have high level water content. Do not over-cook them so that their water content is not lost.
- Lime Water - Nothing like coming indoors from a hot sunny day and gulping on some lime water! A glass of lime water has many benefits. It keeps you chilled and refreshed for hours. If you want a twist to your lime juice, add some cumin powder, salt and sugar.