First-of-its-kind campaign in Odisha to create awareness about disability rights & inclusion
May 7, 2018
The Odisha State disability Network (OSDN), a group of over 250 NGOs, parents and individuals, is planning a campaign called SASHAKT.
SASHAKT is a one and a half year campaign that aims to increase awareness about disability rights, dignity, empowerment, and inclusion.
Apart from awareness, SASHAKT will also work towards making the disabled community aware of existing facilities and resources, as well as the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act 2016. This is the first time that such a campaign is being conducted in India.
The organization spearheading SASHAKT is Swabhiman, an Odisha-based NGO that has been working towards empowering people with disabilities through information, knowledge advocacy, capacity building, research and training for the last 16 years.
Swabhiman has taken the lead in bringing about several policy changes that have positively impacted the lives of persons with disabilities. The NGO specifically focuses on supporting education, building the skills of the youth for availing employment opportunities, increasing public awareness on the issue of disability, working towards accessible cities, and conducting research for enabling advocacy.
The need for such an exhaustive campaign was felt given how marginalized people with disabilities are in India. They are among the most deprived and discriminated against in society.
Given this there is an urgent need to create awareness about inclusion in the public. SASHAKT aims to do this through an exhibition, film shows, and through interactions with disabled people. There will also be a display of their skills, be it through letters, poems, diaries, pictures, photos and cartoons, in every language, including Braille and sign language. These will showcase their challenges and achievements.
There are more than one million people in Odisha with some form of physical and mental disabilities. They face many challenges in their daily lives. One of the main challenges is facing the attitudes of other people. Disability awareness is key to overcoming preconceptions and stereotypes regarding disabilities.
SASHAKT will start on 9 May from Puri and will go on until 13 June in Nayagarh. A team of 30 people with and without disabilities will participate in the march. The program will end on 20 June in Bhubaneswar.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility March 21, 2019 A tactile toolkit that explains what periods are all about to girls with vision & hearing disabilities
- Get-hooked March 25, 2019 Tough, but not impossible. - Guest columnist Karthik Chandrashekhar talks about his journey overcoming disability
- Headlines March 20, 2019 Madhya Pradesh girl raped & killed, uncle & brothers accused
- Events March 20, 2019 Run 4 Autism Marathon- More details to come
- Events March 20, 2019 4th National Blind Football Tournament
- Headlines March 22, 2019 Pakistan will not broadcast IPL 2019 matches
- Get-hooked March 21, 2019 #WonderWoman - Ketna Mehta is giving people with disabilities wings to fly
- Headlines March 19, 2019 Rahul Gandhi PM Modi over chowkidaar campaign
- Events March 20, 2019 Session by Smrithy Rajesh
- Headlines March 18, 2019 Indian cricket team gears up for World Cup 2019
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News