Microsoft commits $25 million for developing assistive technologies
Technology company Microsoft has announced that it plans to invest US$25 million for improving accessibility for people with disabilities.
This is part of the company’s ongoing initiative to make technology accessible and easy to use for disabled people.
The funding will be used over the five-year Artificial Intelligence for Accessibility project of Microsoft.
Microsoft says that at present only one out of 10 disabled people across the world gets access to assistive technologies and products.
The company wants to dramatically increase this number so that more people get the benefit of advanced technology to lead a better life.
As part of the five-year-plan, Microsoft will give funds to developers, universities, inventors, and NGOs that are involved in the creation and development of assistive technologies.
Microsoft also plans to help projects that have higher chances of being useful for disabled people and finance them. It will ask in-house experts to evaluate the products.
Microsoft will also work internally on making its own products more disabled friendly as well.
Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella has often spoken about the commitment of the company towards accessibility and he supports this at a personal level too.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked January 21, 2019 Some things to not tell a disabled person when you meet online
- Headlines January 19, 2019 India wins one day series in Australia
- Get-hooked January 15, 2019 Samanvai spreads smiles to lives of disabled people in Hyderabad
- Get-hooked January 19, 2019 Trending stories on Newzhook this week!
- Get-hooked January 15, 2019 Jisha’s journey with art is a story of determination, passion
- Headlines January 17, 2019 India's D Gukesh is world’s 2nd youngest chess grandmaster
- Headlines January 16, 2019 Kumbh Mela 2019 begins in Prayagraj
- Education January 16, 2019 Home schooling now an option for children with disabilities in Maharashtra
- Headlines January 15, 2019 PM Modi tells public to rate government
- Events January 19, 2019 Workshop on Secrets to Deal with ADHD Children
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News