Central government asks Delhi government to provide information on accessibility of public buildings
May 9, 2018
The disability division of the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment has asked for data from various departments of the Delhi government and local bodies as to how many public buildings and places under their jurisdiction are disabled-friendly.
The Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (DEPwD) has also asked them to frame an action plan with a timeline for making all the public buildings under their jurisdiction accessible.
This needs to be completed by 5 December 2018, which is the International Day of Persons with Disabilities.
The Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act, 2016 makes it mandatory for all private and government institutions and establishments to ensure barrier-free spaces and services for people with disabilities.
A sensitization meeting of all the stakeholders was also held to discuss how to make Delhi a model accessible city. The DEPwD has asked government departments and local bodies to come up with a roadmap and allocate funds towards this.
In Delhi, 23 buildings were identified for making them accessible to disabled people. The central government has released funds for 19 of these buildings.
The DEPwD has also suggested eight categories, covering over 250 public buildings and spaces. These include educational institutes, healthcare facilities, and office buildings.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility April 22, 2019 Disabled people in parts of Goa can look forward to wheelchair accessible transport on voting day
- Accessibility April 19, 2019 CBSE to allow visual aids in Class 10 exams from 2020 for students with vision impairments
- Headlines April 19, 2019 Second voting phase-Key points
- Headlines April 19, 2019 ‘Kalank’ is highest grosser on opening day for 2019
- Parasports April 17, 2019 London will now host the ninth World Para Swimming Championship
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 Understanding Stimming
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 Tips to manage learning disabilities in adults
- Events April 18, 2019 Playful Parenting for Happier Urban Families
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 Road to getting disability certificates filled with barriers for hemophilia patients
- Headlines April 17, 2019 Shatrughan Sinha's wife joins Samajwadi Party
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News