Central government asks Delhi government to provide information on accessibility of public buildings
May 9, 2018
The disability division of the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment has asked for data from various departments of the Delhi government and local bodies as to how many public buildings and places under their jurisdiction are disabled-friendly.
The Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (DEPwD) has also asked them to frame an action plan with a timeline for making all the public buildings under their jurisdiction accessible.
This needs to be completed by 5 December 2018, which is the International Day of Persons with Disabilities.
The Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act, 2016 makes it mandatory for all private and government institutions and establishments to ensure barrier-free spaces and services for people with disabilities.
A sensitization meeting of all the stakeholders was also held to discuss how to make Delhi a model accessible city. The DEPwD has asked government departments and local bodies to come up with a roadmap and allocate funds towards this.
In Delhi, 23 buildings were identified for making them accessible to disabled people. The central government has released funds for 19 of these buildings.
The DEPwD has also suggested eight categories, covering over 250 public buildings and spaces. These include educational institutes, healthcare facilities, and office buildings.
Watch in Sign Language
- Deaf Entertainment is bringing the magic of movies to new audiences
June 26, 2019
- Introduction of a wheelchair ramp might not be just what disability rights groups in Chennai asked for
June 26, 2019
- Social media thread highlights barriers faced by disabled candidates at exam halls across India
June 26, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked June 21, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Get-hooked June 25, 2019 Zakker Hussain’s relentless commitment to social work is admired by many people
- Accessibility June 26, 2019 Introduction of a wheelchair ramp might not be just what disability rights groups in Chennai asked for
- Headlines June 22, 2019 Narendra Modi celebrates yoga day at Ranchi
- Accessibility June 24, 2019 Buttons 2 Button is an adaptive clothing idea straight from a mom's heart
- Get-hooked June 22, 2019 Parenting Corner - Parent’s role in education
- Education June 20, 2019 #ChangeMakers - An idol to many, Elizabeth Philip keeps inspiring through her relentless work
- Headlines June 21, 2019 Imran Khan trolled after he quotes Tagore as Gibran
- Headlines June 24, 2019 Afghanistan match was a lesson, says Virat
- Events June 20, 2019 Special buddies program (Intermediate group)
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News