Central government asks Delhi government to provide information on accessibility of public buildings
The disability division of the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment has asked for data from various departments of the Delhi government and local bodies as to how many public buildings and places under their jurisdiction are disabled-friendly.
The Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (DEPwD) has also asked them to frame an action plan with a timeline for making all the public buildings under their jurisdiction accessible.
This needs to be completed by 5 December 2018, which is the International Day of Persons with Disabilities.
The Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act, 2016 makes it mandatory for all private and government institutions and establishments to ensure barrier-free spaces and services for people with disabilities.
A sensitization meeting of all the stakeholders was also held to discuss how to make Delhi a model accessible city. The DEPwD has asked government departments and local bodies to come up with a roadmap and allocate funds towards this.
In Delhi, 23 buildings were identified for making them accessible to disabled people. The central government has released funds for 19 of these buildings.
The DEPwD has also suggested eight categories, covering over 250 public buildings and spaces. These include educational institutes, healthcare facilities, and office buildings.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Technology February 14, 2019 Tobii Dynavox eye tracker is opening new world to little Ganga & others like her
- Get-hooked February 13, 2019 Deaf groups in Pune to protest against Maharashtra government's neglect of their needs
- Headlines February 13, 2019 17 people killed in fire that broke out at Delhi hotel
- Headlines February 17, 2019 Vande Bharat Express breaks down a day after launch
- Headlines February 15, 2019 Gully Boy hits theatres
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Kashmir attack - Pakistan under pressure to end support to terror groups
- Accessibility February 20, 2019 Kerala's disability rights groups gear up to challenge unjust road transport authorities
- Accessibility February 20, 2019 Kochi Metro gets thumbs up for accessibility features
- Events February 13, 2019 Job Oriented Preparatory Workshop for persons with disabilities
- Headlines February 17, 2019 Help pours in for families of slain CRPF soldiers
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News