Central government asks Delhi government to provide information on accessibility of public buildings
The disability division of the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment has asked for data from various departments of the Delhi government and local bodies as to how many public buildings and places under their jurisdiction are disabled-friendly.
The Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (DEPwD) has also asked them to frame an action plan with a timeline for making all the public buildings under their jurisdiction accessible.
This needs to be completed by 5 December 2018, which is the International Day of Persons with Disabilities.
The Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act, 2016 makes it mandatory for all private and government institutions and establishments to ensure barrier-free spaces and services for people with disabilities.
A sensitization meeting of all the stakeholders was also held to discuss how to make Delhi a model accessible city. The DEPwD has asked government departments and local bodies to come up with a roadmap and allocate funds towards this.
In Delhi, 23 buildings were identified for making them accessible to disabled people. The central government has released funds for 19 of these buildings.
The DEPwD has also suggested eight categories, covering over 250 public buildings and spaces. These include educational institutes, healthcare facilities, and office buildings.
Watch in Sign Language
- #MeToo moment eludes India's disabled women, Tamil Nadu study reveals extent of invisibility
November 19, 2018
- Iconic film Sholay to be screened with audio description at IFFI 2018
November 18, 2018
- MCI moves towards public consultation on on amendments to disability rules for MBBS students
November 18, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked November 19, 2018 Some driving tips for people with disabilities
- Headlines November 17, 2018 Mithali Raj is highest T20I run scorer in India, beats Virat Kohli, Rohit Sharma
- Parasports November 18, 2018 Shekhar Naik Foundation gives hope to aspiring blind cricketers
- Get-hooked November 13, 2018 "It was like the whole universe came together" - My Take by Ruma Roka, founder, Noida Deaf Society
- Headlines November 14, 2018 Marvel Comics creator Stan Lee dies at 95
- Accessibility November 15, 2018 Lack of clarity on revised admission norms leaves disabled students & parents groping in the dark
- Get-hooked November 14, 2018 Help your child with autism sleep better
- Headlines November 19, 2018 Ranveer & Deepika back in India after tying the knot
- Events November 15, 2018 BGFI's Accessible Tour to Mumbai Dockyard
- Accessibility November 18, 2018 MCI moves towards public consultation on on amendments to disability rules for MBBS students
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News