Disability is no hurdle for these Class 10 toppers from Karnataka
May 9, 2018
The SSLC Class 10 exam results in the state of Karnataka are out. Many disabled students have done well. There are some who have shone with their excellent results.
Like 15-year-old Padmavathi Raghunath, who has dwarfism. This young girl, who is 3.3 feet tall has set her sights firmly in the stars. Padmavathi has faced much teasing for her height. Now she has the last laugh with her final result.
With 97.4%, Padmavati has topped the physically challenged category with her hard work and determination.
Padmavathi, who comes from Belagavi district, says her success was the result of countless nights of hard work. She credits her father Raghunath Haraddi Vantagodi, a primary school teacher, for her results. She wants to become a software engineer once she completes her studies.
Also glowing with happiness is Abhiram Bhagavath K, a student of Sri Sharada Blind Vikasa Centre High School in Shivamogga. Abhiram has scored 99%, with full marks in Hindi! He is the Karnataka state topper from the blind student's category.
Abhiram's mother was given an oxygen overdose when she was pregnant. This was the cause of his loss of vision. Abhiram says his parents have always been supportive of his desire to study. His mother would read out from the textbooks when Braille material was not available.
Abhiram also plays the flute extremely well, and is gearing up to write the Indian Administrative Services (IAS).
Disha Kumar from Kundapura has multiple disabilities. She has topped the category of students with multiple disabilities by scoring a 97.4%. Passionate about science, this young girl hopes to become a doctor when she grows up. Disha says that she always knew she could overcome her disabilities without any external support.
These students are truly inspirational and show that disability can never come in the way of ability and commitment.
Watch in Sign Language
- #ChangeMakers - An idol to many, Elizabeth Philip keeps inspiring through her relentless work
June 20, 2019
- Parents, special educators group files RTI into status of inclusive education in Kerala
June 19, 2019
- Delhi University clarifies rules regarding disabled certificate validity for admissions
June 16, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility June 15, 2019 MCI requirement for double certification puts disabled medical aspirants under undue stress
- Headlines June 20, 2019 Chennai hit by worst water crisis
- Get-hooked June 17, 2019 Does parenting change with changing eyesight? - Guest column by Vineet Saraiwala
- Get-hooked June 19, 2019 Sustainable, eco-friendly vocational training for disabled adults, the Aarambh way
- Headlines June 19, 2019 6 jawans injured in terror strike in Pulwama
- Headlines June 16, 2019 Shikhar Dhawan will not be replaced, says Virat
- Get-hooked June 18, 2019 Acid attack survivors hope SRK's support will lend greater focus to their campaign
- Get-hooked June 18, 2019 Seeking a friend or life partner? Register at this meet up
- Headlines June 18, 2019 Bhuvneshwar Kumar out for 2 matches
- Parasports June 19, 2019 Tamil Nadu set to rock the National Wheelchair Basketball Championship
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News