Disability is no hurdle for these Class 10 toppers from Karnataka
May 9, 2018
The SSLC Class 10 exam results in the state of Karnataka are out. Many disabled students have done well. There are some who have shone with their excellent results.
Like 15-year-old Padmavathi Raghunath, who has dwarfism. This young girl, who is 3.3 feet tall has set her sights firmly in the stars. Padmavathi has faced much teasing for her height. Now she has the last laugh with her final result.
With 97.4%, Padmavati has topped the physically challenged category with her hard work and determination.
Padmavathi, who comes from Belagavi district, says her success was the result of countless nights of hard work. She credits her father Raghunath Haraddi Vantagodi, a primary school teacher, for her results. She wants to become a software engineer once she completes her studies.
Also glowing with happiness is Abhiram Bhagavath K, a student of Sri Sharada Blind Vikasa Centre High School in Shivamogga. Abhiram has scored 99%, with full marks in Hindi! He is the Karnataka state topper from the blind student's category.
Abhiram's mother was given an oxygen overdose when she was pregnant. This was the cause of his loss of vision. Abhiram says his parents have always been supportive of his desire to study. His mother would read out from the textbooks when Braille material was not available.
Abhiram also plays the flute extremely well, and is gearing up to write the Indian Administrative Services (IAS).
Disha Kumar from Kundapura has multiple disabilities. She has topped the category of students with multiple disabilities by scoring a 97.4%. Passionate about science, this young girl hopes to become a doctor when she grows up. Disha says that she always knew she could overcome her disabilities without any external support.
These students are truly inspirational and show that disability can never come in the way of ability and commitment.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 22, 2019 Sadhvi Thakur slapped with notice over statements
- Headlines April 17, 2019 Shatrughan Sinha's wife joins Samajwadi Party
- Events April 15, 2019 Tandem Challenge
- Events April 18, 2019 Planet Autism Art Exhibition
- Events April 18, 2019 Treasure Island
- Headlines April 20, 2019 Make comedy film on PM Modi: Urmila Matondkar
- Headlines April 22, 2019 Vir Chakra recommended for Air Force pilot
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 Tips to manage learning disabilities in adults
- Accessibility April 22, 2019 Court order paves way for woman without fingerprints to get Aadhaar card
- Headlines April 16, 2019 World Cup Cricket - Indian side announced
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News