Creating a calming space for children with autism
A calming room or space helps to soothe children with autism when they feel overwhelmed or nervous.
The room does not have to be a large space. It needs to have an atmosphere such that the child feels safe and calm.
Here are some things to consider if you are planning to create a calming space for a child with autism.
The room or space should be free of clutter and knick knacks.
Primary colours like red, yellow, and blue should not be used as they can add to the tension the child may already be feeling.
Calm colours like light blues, greens, and violets are preferable as they are cool to the eyes and less stimulating.
Adding a variety of textures can help keep the child occupied. Use fluffy pillows, textured wallpaper, or a beanbag chair.
Use soft lighting that is not harsh to the eyes.
Avoid putting too much plastic in the area. Use wood instead.
Calming pictures such as natural scenes can be added to the room.
Noisy materials should be avoided as that may cause more behaviour issues.
- A soft rug or mat can be used on the floor for the child to sit or lie down.
Watch in Sign Language
- One billion youth face risk of hearing loss, warns United Nations
February 18, 2019
- Naa Mein Naa Hai. Consent and Love. - Guest Column by Srinidhi Raghavan
February 18, 2019
- Understanding Rett Syndrome
February 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked February 12, 2019 Children with autism showcase their talents at Kochi event
- Headlines February 17, 2019 Help pours in for families of slain CRPF soldiers
- Get-hooked February 12, 2019 Cherish your life with all its unique flaws and blessings- My Take by Sundari Sivasubbu, Author
- Events February 14, 2019 Free Eye Camp
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 The incredibly gifted Piyush Sharma defies all stereotypes regarding disability
- Headlines February 17, 2019 Vande Bharat Express breaks down a day after launch
- Get-hooked February 18, 2019 Naa Mein Naa Hai. Consent and Love. - Guest Column by Srinidhi Raghavan
- Get-hooked February 18, 2019 One billion youth face risk of hearing loss, warns United Nations
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 Coming national election may be boycotted by Maharashtra's deaf community
- Parasports February 17, 2019 Players prep for the National wheelchair cricket match to begin this March
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked February 9, 2019
Get-hooked February 11, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News