Creating a calming space for children with autism
May 9, 2018
A calming room or space helps to soothe children with autism when they feel overwhelmed or nervous.
The room does not have to be a large space. It needs to have an atmosphere such that the child feels safe and calm.
Here are some things to consider if you are planning to create a calming space for a child with autism.
The room or space should be free of clutter and knick knacks.
Primary colours like red, yellow, and blue should not be used as they can add to the tension the child may already be feeling.
Calm colours like light blues, greens, and violets are preferable as they are cool to the eyes and less stimulating.
Adding a variety of textures can help keep the child occupied. Use fluffy pillows, textured wallpaper, or a beanbag chair.
Use soft lighting that is not harsh to the eyes.
Avoid putting too much plastic in the area. Use wood instead.
Calming pictures such as natural scenes can be added to the room.
Noisy materials should be avoided as that may cause more behaviour issues.
- A soft rug or mat can be used on the floor for the child to sit or lie down.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Headlines April 20, 2019 IPL 2019 - Bengaluru beat Kolkata
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Jet Airways suspends all operations
- Headlines April 21, 2019 Sadhvi Pragya retracts remark about 26/11 martyr
- Events April 18, 2019 Planet Autism Art Exhibition
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Upcoming film 'Mental Hai Kya' starring Kangana, Rajkummar angers mental health experts
- Events April 18, 2019 Special Summer Camp
- Headlines April 22, 2019 Sadhvi Thakur slapped with notice over statements
- Get-hooked April 22, 2019 'Mental hai kya': Sensational & STIGMA MULTIPLIES? - My take by Dr Harish Shetty
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 Some tips for people with disabilities to stay fit & healthy
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News