Creating a calming space for children with autism
May 9, 2018
A calming room or space helps to soothe children with autism when they feel overwhelmed or nervous.
The room does not have to be a large space. It needs to have an atmosphere such that the child feels safe and calm.
Here are some things to consider if you are planning to create a calming space for a child with autism.
The room or space should be free of clutter and knick knacks.
Primary colours like red, yellow, and blue should not be used as they can add to the tension the child may already be feeling.
Calm colours like light blues, greens, and violets are preferable as they are cool to the eyes and less stimulating.
Adding a variety of textures can help keep the child occupied. Use fluffy pillows, textured wallpaper, or a beanbag chair.
Use soft lighting that is not harsh to the eyes.
Avoid putting too much plastic in the area. Use wood instead.
Calming pictures such as natural scenes can be added to the room.
Noisy materials should be avoided as that may cause more behaviour issues.
- A soft rug or mat can be used on the floor for the child to sit or lie down.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility August 20, 2019 #InclusionChamps – Sabke Liye initiative wins Future Retail Limited national disability award
- Parasports August 15, 2019 India triumph at Physical Disability World Cricket Series, will BCCI finally take note?
- Accessibility August 19, 2019 #InclusionChamps – Ankita Gulati wins Universal Design Award 2019 for TouchVision
- Get-Hooked August 14, 2019 Inclusive art festival aims to uncover new opportunities for Bengaluru residents
- Events August 14, 2019 Dyslexia Awareness Workshop
- Headlines August 13, 2019 Angry reactions to Mika Singh's performance in Karachi
- Parasports August 15, 2019 #IStandIndependent - Disability led Madhusudan to discover a talent for wheelchair tennis
- Technology August 15, 2019 'Smart Car Seat for Differently-Abled' gets a thumbs up for innovation & creativity
- Events August 14, 2019 Pop-up and Sign Language session
- Headlines August 19, 2019 Kerala nun seeks justice from the Vatican
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News