Creating a calming space for children with autism
A calming room or space helps to soothe children with autism when they feel overwhelmed or nervous.
The room does not have to be a large space. It needs to have an atmosphere such that the child feels safe and calm.
Here are some things to consider if you are planning to create a calming space for a child with autism.
The room or space should be free of clutter and knick knacks.
Primary colours like red, yellow, and blue should not be used as they can add to the tension the child may already be feeling.
Calm colours like light blues, greens, and violets are preferable as they are cool to the eyes and less stimulating.
Adding a variety of textures can help keep the child occupied. Use fluffy pillows, textured wallpaper, or a beanbag chair.
Use soft lighting that is not harsh to the eyes.
Avoid putting too much plastic in the area. Use wood instead.
Calming pictures such as natural scenes can be added to the room.
Noisy materials should be avoided as that may cause more behaviour issues.
- A soft rug or mat can be used on the floor for the child to sit or lie down.
Watch in Sign Language
- Health Problems in children with Autism
December 16, 2018
- Empowerment of disabled women was the focus of cross disability workshops in Kerala
December 16, 2018
- 21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 - Hearing Impairment - Deaf and hard of hearing
December 15, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines December 12, 2018 Election results from 5 states, massive disappointment for BJP
- Headlines December 14, 2018 Senior BJP leader questions choice of new RBI governor, party embarrassed
- Headlines December 11, 2018 RBI Governor Urjit Patel resigns
- Get-hooked December 12, 2018 Abuse at therapy centres in Kerala under scanner again, government promises redressal
- Get-hooked December 10, 2018 This Ability - Gift Abled - Inclusiveness - Guest Column by Richa Sharma, Special Educator
- Events December 11, 2018 Annual Party Forum For Autism
- Get-hooked December 15, 2018 21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 - Hearing Impairment - Deaf and hard of hearing
- Get-hooked December 15, 2018 Get set for an explosion of art & culture in accessible forms at the Serendipity Arts Festival
- Get-hooked December 13, 2018 This Mumbai sports academy for disabled kids brings a spring to the steps & a smile
- Headlines December 16, 2018 Three terrorists & seven civilians killed at encounter in Jammu & Kashmir
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Employment December 11, 2018