10 Indian books about disabled kids that are a must-read
May 10, 2018
There are few books for children that celebrate differences. This is especially the case when it comes to writing about disabled children.
These are 10 children's books that feature disabled children as the heroes of their own stories.
- Abba's Day - Written by Sunaina Ali and illustrated by Desbasmita Dasgupta, the book is about the a little girl, Aisha. The book does not create a fuss about the fact that Aisha is on crutches. That is just a part of the story.
- Catch That Cat - Read about Dip Dip as she searches for her cat, Kaapi, on a wheelchair. This book is an amazing adventure.
- Flute in the Forest - This is the story about how music has the power to bring about change, challenge prejudices and heal, told through the story of a 13-year-old with polio.
- A Helping Hand - A picture book about friendship and the difficulty of fitting in, especially when you are different.
- Kanna Panna - Kanna, who is visually impaired young boy, helps save the day. Find out how in this book written by Zai Whitaker.
- Manya Learns to Roar - This is a story about a girl who has to deal with cruel comments about her stammering. It talks about friendship, and the bond between students and teachers.
- Simply Nanju - This book is set in a school for disabled children and has a wonderful range of characters.
- Why Are You Afraid to Hold My Hand? - This book tells you how disability does not define a person.
- Wings to Fly - It tells the story of international para athlete Malathi Holla and her determination to succeed.
- Unbroken - It's the story of a young girl who is not able to walk after an accident and her journey coming to terms with it.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 19, 2019 Congress spokesperson attacks her party
- Get-hooked April 14, 2019 Shubhajit aims to enter history books as first double arm amputee to complete Bengaluru-Ladakh bike ride
- Headlines April 12, 2019 IPL 2019- CSK beats RR
- Events April 18, 2019 Treasure Island
- Headlines April 13, 2019 Black Hole image creator is a media star
- Get-hooked April 14, 2019 This programme claims to empower kids with developmental disorders through virtual training
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 #GetMoneywise - Financial planning mistakes parents with disabled children typically make
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News