10 Indian books about disabled kids that are a must-read
May 10, 2018
There are few books for children that celebrate differences. This is especially the case when it comes to writing about disabled children.
These are 10 children's books that feature disabled children as the heroes of their own stories.
- Abba's Day - Written by Sunaina Ali and illustrated by Desbasmita Dasgupta, the book is about the a little girl, Aisha. The book does not create a fuss about the fact that Aisha is on crutches. That is just a part of the story.
- Catch That Cat - Read about Dip Dip as she searches for her cat, Kaapi, on a wheelchair. This book is an amazing adventure.
- Flute in the Forest - This is the story about how music has the power to bring about change, challenge prejudices and heal, told through the story of a 13-year-old with polio.
- A Helping Hand - A picture book about friendship and the difficulty of fitting in, especially when you are different.
- Kanna Panna - Kanna, who is visually impaired young boy, helps save the day. Find out how in this book written by Zai Whitaker.
- Manya Learns to Roar - This is a story about a girl who has to deal with cruel comments about her stammering. It talks about friendship, and the bond between students and teachers.
- Simply Nanju - This book is set in a school for disabled children and has a wonderful range of characters.
- Why Are You Afraid to Hold My Hand? - This book tells you how disability does not define a person.
- Wings to Fly - It tells the story of international para athlete Malathi Holla and her determination to succeed.
- Unbroken - It's the story of a young girl who is not able to walk after an accident and her journey coming to terms with it.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines August 14, 2019 Kerala man Noushad wins hearts in flood-hit Kerala
- Events August 14, 2019 Adolescent Training and Sex Education Workshop
- Get-Hooked August 17, 2019 Trending stories on Newz Hook Aug 9 – Aug 16
- Headlines August 16, 2019 From 29 October, women can travel for free on Delhi buses
- Technology August 15, 2019 'Smart Car Seat for Differently-Abled' gets a thumbs up for innovation & creativity
- Accessibility August 14, 2019 Kerala floods underline critical need to frame inclusive disaster risk management policies
- Headlines August 18, 2019 Telephone services, Internet partially back in J&K
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News