Lookout, Google's new app promises to be a blessing for visually impaired people
May 10, 2018
Google is all set to launch a new mobile app named Lookout. The app promises to help blind and visually impaired people to become more independent. Google is currently working on the Android app.
Lookout will offer auditory clues about the various objects, texts, and people around. It can be worn in a shirt pocket or can even be hung from the shirt.
The camera of the device will face away from the body and keep a track of what is happening around the person.
Lookout works on Home, Work and Play, Scan and Experimental modes. Once the user selects the mode, the app will switch over. It will then detect things around the user.
The scan feature of Lookout will help read texts as well. So, if you want to read a recipe from a cookbook, the app will read it out for you!
Lookout does require an internet connection to function. It will be available in Google Play Store by the end of 2018.
Today, there are many smartphone and apps that are paired together. These have helped blind and visually impaired people to detect and recognize things around them easily.
Watch in Sign Language
- #TechThursdays - Sensor-based device Saarthi is enabling blind people to move about independently
June 27, 2019
- New web-based remote promises to change TV viewing for people with disabilities
June 24, 2019
- #TechThursdays - Flexmo, a one-of-its-kind crutch, is engineered for all terrain types
June 20, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked June 21, 2019 Uber India apology to disability rights activist not enough, call for concrete measures
- Events June 26, 2019 Sign Language Workshop
- Employment June 20, 2019 Karnataka's popular Mitti Cafe chain, manned entirely by disabled staff, set to expand to other cities
- Headlines June 26, 2019 Mamata Banerjee says ‘Super Emergency’ in India since Modi rule
- Headlines June 22, 2019 India deploys warships in view of US-Iran conflict
- Accessibility June 26, 2019 Social media thread highlights barriers faced by disabled candidates at exam halls across India
- Parasports June 21, 2019 Ahead of Physical Disability World Series, allegations of bias against selectors
- Parasports June 27, 2019 Bengaluru to play host to national blind football tournament
- Headlines June 22, 2019 Narendra Modi celebrates yoga day at Ranchi
- Get-hooked June 25, 2019 Zakker Hussain’s relentless commitment to social work is admired by many people
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News