Disability and Gender Rights Workshop- more info awaited
Sruti Disability Rights Center, in association with CREA is back with their third edition of the annual three-day non-residential Disability and Gender Rights Workshop.
It has been more than a year since the Rights to Persons with Disability Bill (RPD) was passed by the Indian Parliament in December, 2016.
What impact has the law had in the way disability rights is being imagined in India? How far has the State implemented the law? How are the disability movements demanding their rights and how do such struggles communicate with other social movements in India? How are these questions complicated when we put gender at the centre in thinking about disability rights? Not just the RPD, it has been a year since the Mental Health Care Bill was also passed by the Parliament. However, what are the conversations around access to mental health in India? The government of India recently reported in the parliament that between 2014 and 2016, 26500 students have committed suicide in India.
Even though the government gave a region wise break-up of the number of suicides, there was no data on the break-up of this alarming figure on the basis of gender and caste. Another notable event this year was when the Supreme Court of India permitted passive euthanasia by allowing individuals in a permanently vegetative state to execute a living will and refuse treatment.
While this judgment has been widely held as affirming the constitutional right to a life of dignity, disability rights activists have pointed out how this judgment gets complicated when we think of those individuals who do not have legal capacity.
In a country where disability is often perceived as a burden, how will the state guarantee that a disabled individual is not being coerced into writing a will?
These are only some of the questions that we will explore in the workshop. Questions of sexual violence, pleasure, intimacy, abortion of disabled foetuses, the connections between nationalism and disability, circulation of disability in popular media will also be discussed across the 3 days of the workshop. Activists, academics, artists will join us for lectures, conversations and activities. This workshop is for anyone who is interested in issues of disability, gender and social justice. Here we would like to issue a note of concern. All the issues we are going to explore in the workshop are inter-connected and hence please participate in this workshop only if you can commit to attending ALL three days and ALL the sessions.
The medium of communication will be Bangla and English. We will provide lunch and tea/coffee for all three days and some study materials. There is no fee for this workshop. While we cannot promise travel and lodging assistance to outstation participants, we will try to work with you to make your stay comfortable.
- Starts on: Friday, 29 Jun 2018 at 10:00 AM
- Ends on: Sunday, 01 Jul 2018 at 06:00 PM
- City: Kolkata
- Location: Kolkata
- Event Charges: Free
- Venue Accessibility: Contact Organizer
- Organizer Name: Sruti Disability Rights Center
- Organizer Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Organizer Website: http://
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked October 23, 2018 Hum-Drum, a participatory musical program for children with disabilities - My Take by Rzhude David
- Headlines October 18, 2018 #MeToo impact: Union Minister M J Akbar resigns over complaints of sexual harassment
- Accessibility October 21, 2018 Wheelchair taxi service Ezy Mov is set to go places
- Headlines October 21, 2018 Bollywood celebrity manager accused in #MeToo movement attempts suicide
- Headlines October 16, 2018 Over 70 cases of Zika virus reported in Rajasthan
- Events October 17, 2018 NAB Presents Interactive Meeting with a Global Leader in Accessibility
- Headlines October 20, 2018 Sabrimalai temple priests continue to block women's entry into temple
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Events October 19, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News