Top 10 wheelchair accessible beaches of the world!
In the run up to Global Accessibility Awareness Day, we bring to you the top 10 wheelchair accessible beaches of the world!
While there are many places in the world that have wheelchair friendly beaches, finding them can be difficult.
From accessible features like boardwalks or ramps to even specially designed beach wheelchairs available on rent, they have many different facilities.
Here is a list of the 10 most wheelchair accessible beaches in the world.
- California, United States - California has some of the most beautiful beaches in the world. Some like Santa Monica and Malibu are well-known. They have boardwalks and ramps, but are also very crowded because of their popularity. There are other beaches like Rehab Point in Oxnard, which are less crowded. This has a paved path that is approximately 900 feet long. The path goes around sand dunes giving you lovely views of the ocean.
- Virginia, United States - Virginia Beach is a popular tourist spot. There are boardwalks all across the beach, which makes travel convenient. There are some levels on the parking deck that offer direct access to the boardwalk as well. Some beaches offer beach wheelchair rentals, so call ahead and book them.
- A-One Pattaya Beach Resort, Thailand - The entire beach property is connected by ramps that stretch out over the water. All the rooms are accessible and the beach offers ramp and boardwalk access.
- Sirens Resort, Loutraki, Greece - Sirens is said to offer one of the best wheelchair travel experiences in the world. Sirens has wheelchair accessible rooms as well as showers that offer roll in access. The property has wide walkways and the resort offers direct access to the ocean. There is even a ramp going into the sea!.
- Freedom Shores, Isla Aguada, Mexico - The property has been created by a soldier who became quadriplegic after an accident. The entire property has been developed keeping the needs of wheelchair users in mind. There is a promenade designed specifically for disabled travellers to enjoy the beach. There are roll-in showers and local taxis that transport wheelchair users back and forth. There is also an accessible boat ride.
- Hanauma Bay, Hawaii, United States - This beach is on the island of Oahu. There are specially equipped beach wheelchairs available for free. You can use the wheelchairs on wet or dry sand. There are many vacation rentals that are accessible and close to the beaches.
- Cancun, Mexico - There are plenty of boardwalks located along the beach. The resorts here have wide paths and there is private beach access as well.
- Key Largo, Florida, United States - The beach is accessible through ramps and wooden walkways. Disabled visitors can go snorkelling and diving. A few local agencies specialize in gear for wheelchair users to use underwater. There are boats with lifts for easy access.
- Manly Beach, Australia - There are plenty of cafes and shops that are accessible. There is plenty to do apart from being on the beach which is accessible. There are beach wheelchairs available.
- Tuscany, Italy - This has many accessible beaches. The four most accessible beaches are Alcione, Bagno Auroria, Fossa Maestra, and Stella del Mare. They have accessible showers and changing rooms. Many resorts here have accessible rooms as well.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked November 15, 2018 Prince Durairaj is on a mission to spread awareness on child sexual abuse
- Headlines November 18, 2018 Delhi on high alert after threat of terror attack
- Headlines November 15, 2018 Congress fields Ashok Gehlot, Sachin Pilot in Rajasthan, no clarity on who will be CM
- Get-hooked November 19, 2018 Some driving tips for people with disabilities
- Headlines November 16, 2018 South African President to be Republic Day chief guest
- Get-hooked November 13, 2018 The Executive Age of children with ADHD, find out more
- Get-hooked November 14, 2018 First ever scientific study establishes the magical link between music & autism
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News