Following a healthy diet may help reduce risk of hearing loss in women
Sticking to a healthy diet may help reduce the risk of hearing loss in women. This is according to a new study by a top hospital in the United States called, Brigham and Women's Hospital.
The study looks at the relationship between hearing loss and three different diets. These are the Alternate Mediterranean diet (AMED), Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH), and the Alternative Healthy Eating Index-2010 (AHEI-2010).
Researchers followed 81,818 women for 22 years and found that women who closely followed the AMED and DASH diets had about a 30% lower risk of moderate or worse hearing loss, as compared to women who did not follow these dietary guidelines.
The study says that eating well contributes to overall good health, and it may also be helpful in reducing the risk of hearing loss.
A Mediterranean diet is mainly made up of fruits, vegetables, beans, nuts, legumes, olive oil, fish, and seafood. It allows for sweets and red meat for special occasions. Cheese and yogurt is allowed in moderation.
The DASH diet is high in fruits and vegetables, lower in dairy, meat, poultry, and fish and minimal in fats, oils, and sweets.
The AHEI-2010 diet has similar components to both the AMED and DASH diets.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked November 17, 2018 What made Stan Lee's superheroes so magical for children with autism
- Headlines November 18, 2018 Kerala shutdowns as Sabarimala open for ‘Mandala Kalam’
- Accessibility November 19, 2018 #MeToo moment eludes India's disabled women, Tamil Nadu study reveals extent of invisibility
- Events November 15, 2018 BGFI's Accessible Tour to Mumbai Dockyard
- Headlines November 15, 2018 Supreme Court to hear review petitions for Sabarimala issue on 22 January
- Get-hooked November 16, 2018 Some tips to make learning fun for children with autism
- Technology November 13, 2018 Engineering student develops app called Myability that speaks out typed text
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked November 14, 2018
Get-hooked November 19, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News