Talking Books for blind students now available in Jamshedpur city college
Blind and visually impaired students in Jamshedpur have some good news to look forward to.
Karim City College, which is affiliated to the Kolhan University in Sakchi, has initiated a Talking Books concept to help visually impaired students do well in academics.
The college has bought two computers and Lex Instant Reader and Scanners worth Rs two lakh from Sparsh in Uttarakhand.
Lex is a software designed specifically for students who are blind and visually impaired to help them read any printed or electronic document more quickly and easily.
It is a highly portable camera system that gives users instant access to any physical document.
How to use Lex
To use the technology, one has to place a document under the camera, press enter on the computer keyboard. After a few seconds, the software converts the document to an audio file, which is then read aloud to the user.
Karim College, which has two blind students, will make the facility available for free to all visually impaired school and college students. The facility has been set up at the college library and will be open to public by the end of May.
Currently the system can translate only English text to English audio. It will also be initiated in Hindi.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports November 15, 2018 Mumbai to play host to second wheelchair basketball camp in November
- Headlines November 18, 2018 Delhi on high alert after threat of terror attack
- Accessibility November 19, 2018 #MeToo moment eludes India's disabled women, Tamil Nadu study reveals extent of invisibility
- Headlines November 14, 2018 Deepika and Ranveer want wedding guests to donate to charity
- Accessibility November 18, 2018 Iconic film Sholay to be screened with audio description at IFFI 2018
- Headlines November 13, 2018 Actor Akshay Kumar says he never met self-styled god man Ram Rahim
- Accessibility November 15, 2018 Lack of clarity on revised admission norms leaves disabled students & parents groping in the dark
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News