Talking to children on the autism spectrum
Children with autism don't tend to communicate verbally and this can lead to misunderstandings or behaviour-related problems.
For parents and teachers, it is important to develop an understanding of these issues to help children with autism.
Here are some ideas to improve communication with children with autism.
Make an effort to talk with a child with autism. Most adults tend to avoid talking to them as they don't know what to say. This is not the right thing to do.
Do not assume that a child does not like you if he or she is not responding. Do not take the child’s behaviour personally.
Try and find the right time to talk to a child with autism. They may not always be in the mood for a conversation.
Do not force the conversation on a child with autism. Too much pressure can over-stimulate them and cause further behavior issues.
Talk about a topic the child like and he or she will pay attention.
If talking does not get a response, write your words down. Draw a picture or write a word and show it to the child.
Give the child time to understand the conversation or the written message.
- Always remember, they are just children who need care, attention, and affection to learn and grow.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines November 13, 2018 Rohit Sharma in list of batsmen with over 200 boundaries in T20Is
- Get-hooked November 15, 2018 Prayatna Counselling & Early Intervention Centre is on the journey of making a positive change
- Get-hooked November 18, 2018 5 things you must know about wheelchair users
- Events November 15, 2018 Convention Against Sexual Assaults on Women with Disabilities
- Headlines November 14, 2018 Marvel Comics creator Stan Lee dies at 95
- Headlines November 14, 2018 Deepika and Ranveer want wedding guests to donate to charity
- Parasports November 18, 2018 Shekhar Naik Foundation gives hope to aspiring blind cricketers
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked November 14, 2018
Get-hooked November 13, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News