Experts develop new glasses to reduce progression of myopia in children
May 13, 2018
Myopia that affects the eyes is a very common disease. Severe myopia can even cause blindness.
A huge chunk of the world population is affected by myopia today. However, there is some good news for children.
Experts have created glasses called Defocus Incorporated Multiple Segments (DIMS) Spectacle lens. This will slow the progression of myopia in children. The glasses will be launched soon in the market.
Myopia is also called nearsightedness. It happens when your eye grows too long to focus images clearly on your retina. It can also happen when the lens of your eyes are too thick.
The glasses were developed by a group of researchers from the Hong Kong Polytechnic University. It reduces the progression of myopia up to 60% in children. It even stopped vision loss in nearly 21% of children who used it.
Earlier, contact lenses were used to stop the progression of blindness. But this is unhealthy, especially for children. Most of them get eye infections after regular usage of contact lenses.
This new lens is definitely going to be a boon to many children who are affected by myopia or short-sightedness.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 21, 2019 Sadhvi Pragya retracts remark about 26/11 martyr
- Parasports April 17, 2019 Champ para swimmer Wg Commander Shantanu looks to set a new record, this time in rowing
- Events April 18, 2019 Planet Autism Art Exhibition
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Consider loss of internal organs as disability, orders Madras High Court
- Headlines April 15, 2019 Elections 2019 - Shatrughan Sinha wants to fight PM Modi
- Accessibility April 19, 2019 Election Commission's accessibility promises ring hollow in second phase of voting
- Get-hooked April 15, 2019 World Hemophilia Day 2019 aims for outreach & identification
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News