Experts develop new glasses to reduce progression of myopia in children
May 13, 2018
Myopia that affects the eyes is a very common disease. Severe myopia can even cause blindness.
A huge chunk of the world population is affected by myopia today. However, there is some good news for children.
Experts have created glasses called Defocus Incorporated Multiple Segments (DIMS) Spectacle lens. This will slow the progression of myopia in children. The glasses will be launched soon in the market.
Myopia is also called nearsightedness. It happens when your eye grows too long to focus images clearly on your retina. It can also happen when the lens of your eyes are too thick.
The glasses were developed by a group of researchers from the Hong Kong Polytechnic University. It reduces the progression of myopia up to 60% in children. It even stopped vision loss in nearly 21% of children who used it.
Earlier, contact lenses were used to stop the progression of blindness. But this is unhealthy, especially for children. Most of them get eye infections after regular usage of contact lenses.
This new lens is definitely going to be a boon to many children who are affected by myopia or short-sightedness.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports June 19, 2019 Tamil Nadu set to rock the National Wheelchair Basketball Championship
- Events June 17, 2019 Indian Freedom Struggle through a musical play
- Events June 17, 2019 Miss & Mister Deaf Stars 2019
- Get-hooked June 17, 2019 These surprise gift boxes by Little Trovebox has people hooked
- Get-hooked June 16, 2019 Understanding Fibromyalgia
- Get-hooked June 15, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Accessibility June 17, 2019 New foldable ramp at Chennai buses get mixed response
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News