Elderly meet in Kolkata to know about caregivers & service providers in city
May 14, 2018
The Bengal Chamber of Commerce and Industry held an event for elderly people in Kolkata city. The event brought together senior citizens to know more about organizations and companies that provide caregivers and service providers in the city.
There are many senior citizens and elderly couple who live alone. Like Subhendu Bhattacharya. This 73-year-old lives in Kolkata city with his wife. His children are working in Dubai and Mumbai. Mr Bhattacharya is always worried about who will take care of him and his wife if they fall sick. For people like him, the event was a huge blessing.
Elderly can register in these organizations by paying a fee. The service providers will come home and help take care of their needs like going to a bank, shopping for grocery, and help in medical emergencies. A close relative or children of the elderly will have to sign a form before registering.
The programme also stressed on the importance of constantly checking on the health of the elderly. The slogan of the programme was Youth for seniors. More than 500 people attended the event.
There is hardly any government support for the elderly in Kolkata. There is one program called Pronom, which has been taken up by the police to help senior citizens who are living alone. The initiative is supported by the government.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Education June 21, 2019 American College in Madurai introduces disability studies in syllabus
- Get-hooked June 26, 2019 Nationwide contest seeks to unearth and showcase talented blind cooks
- Get-hooked June 22, 2019 Growing number of fake disability certification rackets highlight need for stricter checks & action
- Headlines June 24, 2019 India dismissed report on rising religious tensions
- Get-hooked June 25, 2019 United Kingdom government grants visa to blind Indian musicians, reverses earlier order
- Headlines June 25, 2019 RBI Deputy Governor resigns
- Accessibility June 26, 2019 Social media thread highlights barriers faced by disabled candidates at exam halls across India
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News