Young Mumbai student designs India's 1st fashion line for people on wheelchairs!
24-year-old Krithika Chandramouli firmly believes that people using wheelchairs are entitled to dress in style!
That conviction has inspired her into designing India's first whole line of clothes for people with disabilities. Her line combines functionality as well as fashion.
Krithika's work was displayed at a special fashion show held during the graduation programme of Pearl Academy. Her work was shown in the ramp by a physically disabled model, who was using a wheelchair.
Krithika says her role model is the late Mexican artist, Frida Kahlo, who had polio. She endured great physical and emotional pain, but expressed herself on canvas. She says Kahlo inspired her to step out of her comfort zone and design.
The floral designs on her work are also inspired by typical Mexican patterns like the Otomi embroidery which she has recreated as prints. She says this keeps the clothes affordable as well.
Krithika started working on her line after extensive meetings with wheelchair users to understand their needs. She realized how hard it is for them to dress independently.
They told her that the garment's look from the neck to feet was important for them. Since they spend a long time sitting, they wanted the garment to have extra fabric at the back with so that it did not stretch when they moved on the chair.
Krithika has also designed detachable jackets, shirts, and trousers in which the sleeves or legs can be worn separately as well as made loose or right with zippers and buttons so its easy for the wearer to dress by themselves.
She says that clothes for wheelchair users focuses mainly on practical or medical issues and less on the expressive or aesthetic aspects. Something this young woman wants to change.
Watch in Sign Language
- Some driving tips for people with disabilities
November 19, 2018
- Some tips to boost self-esteem for people with disabilities
November 19, 2018
- 5 things you must know about wheelchair users
November 18, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines November 19, 2018 Ranveer & Deepika back in India after tying the knot
- Headlines November 13, 2018 Union Minister Ananth Kumar passes away at age of 59
- Education November 14, 2018 Understanding the Learning Disability - Dyslexia
- Get-hooked November 19, 2018 Some tips to boost self-esteem for people with disabilities
- Headlines November 17, 2018 Mithali Raj is highest T20I run scorer in India, beats Virat Kohli, Rohit Sharma
- Get-hooked November 13, 2018 The Executive Age of children with ADHD, find out more
- Headlines November 15, 2018 Congress fields Ashok Gehlot, Sachin Pilot in Rajasthan, no clarity on who will be CM
- Events November 15, 2018 Convention Against Sexual Assaults on Women with Disabilities
- Get-hooked November 18, 2018 5 things you must know about wheelchair users
- Accessibility November 15, 2018 Lack of clarity on revised admission norms leaves disabled students & parents groping in the dark
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked November 14, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News