The inspiring story of Lata Iyer, Gujarat's only licensed dyslexia therapist
Lata Iyer lost her husband in a train accident when her daughter, who has autism, was less than six years old. This did not discourage her from working towards giving a better life to her daughter, whom she has raised as a single parent.
An academic consultant, Iyer underwent training to raise her daughter. She is now using her learning to bring children with autism into the mainstream by establishing a centre in Vadodara.
The centre is called Reach-Centre for Autism and Special Needs and it was started four years ago in her home in Vadodara.
Iyer provides her services free of cost to children with special needs in the city. She is widely regarded as Gujarat's only licensed dyslexia therapist.
Iyer, who lived in Bengaluru when her daughter was diagnosed, had to travel to Mumbai for her daughter's treatment. After her husband’s insistence, she did a basic degree in special education.
When her husband was killed, Iyer moved to Vadodara where she started working as a teacher in special schools. She would also give voluntary remedial classes for special kids.
She had to take loans to do the expensive Dyslexia Therapist Training Programme in 2009. The course is conducted by the Maharashtra Dyslexia Association in partnership with the Multi Sensory Language Training Institute of New Mexico.
Her centre now has 14 children with autism, and she also helps children with special needs in mainstream schools.
Her next goal is to train teachers of municipal schools. Iyer says that even if she is able to train one teacher in each municipal school, it will go a long way in helping special kids.
Watch in Sign Language
- Some driving tips for people with disabilities
November 19, 2018
- Some tips to boost self-esteem for people with disabilities
November 19, 2018
- 5 things you must know about wheelchair users
November 18, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports November 19, 2018 Coach Jaspal Dhani on a mission to put India on the global map of wheelchair basketball
- Accessibility November 15, 2018 Lack of clarity on revised admission norms leaves disabled students & parents groping in the dark
- Headlines November 18, 2018 Kerala shutdowns as Sabarimala open for ‘Mandala Kalam’
- Events November 15, 2018 Convention Against Sexual Assaults on Women with Disabilities
- Accessibility November 18, 2018 MCI moves towards public consultation on on amendments to disability rules for MBBS students
- Get-hooked November 19, 2018 Some tips to boost self-esteem for people with disabilities
- Headlines November 15, 2018 Supreme Court to hear review petitions for Sabarimala issue on 22 January
- Headlines November 13, 2018 Union Minister Ananth Kumar passes away at age of 59
- Accessibility November 13, 2018 This music teacher's video tutorials are bringing songs alive for people who are deaf & hard of hearing
- Get-hooked November 17, 2018 Inclusive ferry ride outing in Mumbai for visually impaired fun seekers
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked November 19, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News