Some exercises for people with disabilities
May 14, 2018
To stay healthy, regular exercise and an active lifestyle is important.
For people who are physically disabled, there are several forms of exercise that can be taken up according to their needs.
Here are some simple exercises that can be practiced to maintain health and fitness of the body.
- Sit to Stand - This is an ideal exercise for those with some control on their lower body. This is done while sitting at the edge of a seat with your feet on the floor. Now slowly tilt the upper body forward and try to push yourself up with your legs into a fully standing position. Then come back to the original sitting position.
- Seated tricep dips - This is good for people with good upper body strength. Place your hands on the armrests of your wheelchair or any other chair you are sitting on. Push yourself up until your arms are fully extended. Then relax and go back to original position.
- Seated knee raises - Lift one knee up while sitting and then put it back down. Now repeat the same with the other knee.
- Sit and walk - This exercise is good for people with some control on their lower body. It helps build strength. Take two chairs and do the Sit to Stand exercises. Then get up and walk to the other chair and sit in that. Again repeat the Sit to stand.
Go slow in the beginning and take someone's help till you get used to doing the exercises alone.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 15, 2019 Amitabh Bachchan donates to families of Pulwama martyrs
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Wheelchair no barrier for a fit & healthy lifestyle, here's why
- Headlines June 18, 2019 Doctors call off strike after meeting with Mamata Banerjee
- Headlines June 13, 2019 Outrage over Pakistani ad mocking Indian pilot
- Get-hooked June 17, 2019 Does parenting change with changing eyesight? - Guest column by Vineet Saraiwala
- Technology June 12, 2019 Chatbot Mera Mitra aims to be the personal companion for all things to do with disability in India
- Technology June 13, 2019 #TechThursdays - EMx turns the spotlight on early intervention & inclusive education in the 3rd edition
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News