Indore students invent e-walking stick for blind and visually impaired people
May 15, 2018
Three students from the Acropolis College in Indore in Madhya Pradesh have invented a guiding stick for people who are blind and visually impaired.
This electronic walking stick will help them identify the obstacles on their way correctly. It will also alert them about other kinds of changes that are coming on their path.
The three students behind this invention are Ayush Upadhyay, Mohit Dwivedi and Rohit Dwivedi. They are students of electronics and communication and worked on the stick under the guidance of their professor, Nilesh Dubey.
This electronic walking stick has ultrasonic sensors attached to its upper and lower parts. The sensor in the upper part of the walking stick will inform the user of any hurdle that is coming in the way.
The ultrasonic sensor in the lower part will inform the user about potholes, drains and other type of obstacles. It will also help them walk on the stairs with care.
There are fitted on the guiding stick that will inform other people that a blind or visually impaired person is moving around.
The students are now working on a GPS feature for the guiding stick. This will give the location and other details of the user. If the stick is lost or misplaced somewhere, the user can come to know where to find it.
Watch in Sign Language
- #TechThursdays - Sensor-based device Saarthi is enabling blind people to move about independently
June 27, 2019
- New web-based remote promises to change TV viewing for people with disabilities
June 24, 2019
- #TechThursdays - Flexmo, a one-of-its-kind crutch, is engineered for all terrain types
June 20, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Technology June 27, 2019 #TechThursdays - Sensor-based device Saarthi is enabling blind people to move about independently
- Headlines June 23, 2019 Pakistan gets warning to curb terrorism by October
- Parasports June 20, 2019 Sonakshi Sinha likely to play the part of Paralympian Deepa Malik
- Get-hooked June 26, 2019 Nationwide contest seeks to unearth and showcase talented blind cooks
- Parasports June 21, 2019 Ahead of Physical Disability World Series, allegations of bias against selectors
- Headlines June 27, 2019 Salman Khan accused of assault, robbery
- Events June 26, 2019 Sign Language Workshop
- Headlines June 22, 2019 Narendra Modi celebrates yoga day at Ranchi
- Get-hooked June 21, 2019 Uber India apology to disability rights activist not enough, call for concrete measures
- Education June 20, 2019 #ChangeMakers - An idol to many, Elizabeth Philip keeps inspiring through her relentless work
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News