Indore students invent e-walking stick for blind and visually impaired people
May 15, 2018
Three students from the Acropolis College in Indore in Madhya Pradesh have invented a guiding stick for people who are blind and visually impaired.
This electronic walking stick will help them identify the obstacles on their way correctly. It will also alert them about other kinds of changes that are coming on their path.
The three students behind this invention are Ayush Upadhyay, Mohit Dwivedi and Rohit Dwivedi. They are students of electronics and communication and worked on the stick under the guidance of their professor, Nilesh Dubey.
This electronic walking stick has ultrasonic sensors attached to its upper and lower parts. The sensor in the upper part of the walking stick will inform the user of any hurdle that is coming in the way.
The ultrasonic sensor in the lower part will inform the user about potholes, drains and other type of obstacles. It will also help them walk on the stairs with care.
There are fitted on the guiding stick that will inform other people that a blind or visually impaired person is moving around.
The students are now working on a GPS feature for the guiding stick. This will give the location and other details of the user. If the stick is lost or misplaced somewhere, the user can come to know where to find it.
Watch in Sign Language
- #TechThursdays - Smartphone-based therapy & hearing aid could prove a game changer for the deaf community
April 18, 2019
- Low cost foot orthosis among the promising innovations on display at IIT-Bombay's annual device expo
April 15, 2019
- Developmental disorders can now be diagnosed from home, thanks to this app developed by AIIMS
April 11, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 Tips to manage learning disabilities in adults
- Accessibility April 16, 2019 "Court order should set a model for others with mental disabilities", says Bengal MBBS aspirant Tathagata Ghosh
- Headlines April 17, 2019 IPL 2019 - Rajasthan Royals lose again
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 #AutismPower - Julia's family feature all through April on popular show Sesame Street
- Headlines April 19, 2019 Second voting phase-Key points
- Events April 18, 2019 Treasure Island
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Upcoming film 'Mental Hai Kya' starring Kangana, Rajkummar angers mental health experts
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Jet Airways suspends all operations
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Voting in second phase of elections today
- Parasports April 17, 2019 London will now host the ninth World Para Swimming Championship
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News