Specialcare Holidays, India's 1st accessible travel company by a disabled entrepreneur
Specialcare Holidays, based in Kochi in Kerala, calls itself India's first holiday company for people with disabilities run by a disabled person. The company is set to make its launch this week!
The founder and managing director of Specialcare Holidays is Simon George. George says that the first group of tourists, is made up of about 150 disabled people from various parts of south India. The group will take a day-long houseboat cruise in Alappuzha on Saturday.
52-year-old George is paralyzed from the waist down and has been using a wheelchair for over three decades.
Thanks to his persistent efforts, the Department of Tourism in Kerala has agreed to introduce Accessible Tourism as a special service to promote tourism in the state.
George says he has been fighting all his life to promote the cause of accessible tourism. He called it a shame that Kerala has done so little for disabled tourists even though tourism makes up for 12% of the state's GDP.
Accessible tourism begins with providing disabled visitors with accessible vehicles, specially-trained co-ordinators and tour guides, doctors and nursing staff, and accessible equipment.
Accessible equipment included ramps, automated ramps, wheelchairs, motorised wheelchairs, lifts-onto-vehicles, accessible washrooms and toilets, Braille and sign language-scripted materials and equipment for the blind and hearing impaired at all the tourists visit. This means airports, bus stations, hotels and at tourist destinations.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports February 19, 2019 "After playing for 15 years, I am getting recognition now" - My Take by blind chess champ Kishan Gangolli
- Parasports February 16, 2019 Inclusive tandem-cycling expedition #M2k2019 is back, this time even more scenic & challenging
- Accessibility February 19, 2019 Kerala government launches projects to empower visually impaired people
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Parenting Corner - Autism in girls
- Headlines February 15, 2019 India vs Australia - Update
- Headlines February 20, 2019 Two jets crash ahead of Bengaluru Aero India event, one pilot dies
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 #LovePossible - What happened when Satendra Singh met his Paro
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 The incredibly gifted Piyush Sharma defies all stereotypes regarding disability
- Headlines February 20, 2019 India Premier League season starts 23 March
- Headlines February 14, 2019 Salman Khan’s ‘Bharat’ to have a multi-lingual release
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Accessibility February 20, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News