Specialcare Holidays, India's 1st accessible travel company by a disabled entrepreneur
Specialcare Holidays, based in Kochi in Kerala, calls itself India's first holiday company for people with disabilities run by a disabled person. The company is set to make its launch this week!
The founder and managing director of Specialcare Holidays is Simon George. George says that the first group of tourists, is made up of about 150 disabled people from various parts of south India. The group will take a day-long houseboat cruise in Alappuzha on Saturday.
52-year-old George is paralyzed from the waist down and has been using a wheelchair for over three decades.
Thanks to his persistent efforts, the Department of Tourism in Kerala has agreed to introduce Accessible Tourism as a special service to promote tourism in the state.
George says he has been fighting all his life to promote the cause of accessible tourism. He called it a shame that Kerala has done so little for disabled tourists even though tourism makes up for 12% of the state's GDP.
Accessible tourism begins with providing disabled visitors with accessible vehicles, specially-trained co-ordinators and tour guides, doctors and nursing staff, and accessible equipment.
Accessible equipment included ramps, automated ramps, wheelchairs, motorised wheelchairs, lifts-onto-vehicles, accessible washrooms and toilets, Braille and sign language-scripted materials and equipment for the blind and hearing impaired at all the tourists visit. This means airports, bus stations, hotels and at tourist destinations.
Watch in Sign Language
- Making gardening fun for wheelchair users
October 22, 2018
- Wheelchair taxi service Ezy Mov is set to go places
October 21, 2018
- Mumbai bookstore Trilogy is helping to spread the word about Braille
October 19, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports October 16, 2018 Aiming for gold in 2020 Paralympics, Asian Para Games gold medalist Ekta Bhyan tells Newz Hook
- Headlines October 17, 2018 Animal lovers protest against decision to shoot down tigress Avni
- Events October 22, 2018 Tandav 5.0 Volunteer Meetup #2
- Get-hooked October 17, 2018 Sudeep Shukla, India's first deaf MLA candidate looks forward to making history
- Education October 18, 2018 Proposal to start sign language exams needs a reality check, say experts
- Get-hooked October 21, 2018 Inclusion should begin early to build greater understanding & awareness, say experts
- Accessibility October 22, 2018 Making gardening fun for wheelchair users
- Headlines October 18, 2018 Priyanka Chopra to marry later this year, most likely in Rajasthan
- Get-hooked October 21, 2018 Check out these fun outings for children with autism
- Accessibility October 15, 2018 Lucknow zoo becomes blind-friendly, an India first
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Accessibility October 15, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News