Specialcare Holidays, India's 1st accessible travel company by a disabled entrepreneur
May 18, 2018
Specialcare Holidays, based in Kochi in Kerala, calls itself India's first holiday company for people with disabilities run by a disabled person. The company is set to make its launch this week!
The founder and managing director of Specialcare Holidays is Simon George. George says that the first group of tourists, is made up of about 150 disabled people from various parts of south India. The group will take a day-long houseboat cruise in Alappuzha on Saturday.
52-year-old George is paralyzed from the waist down and has been using a wheelchair for over three decades.
Thanks to his persistent efforts, the Department of Tourism in Kerala has agreed to introduce Accessible Tourism as a special service to promote tourism in the state.
George says he has been fighting all his life to promote the cause of accessible tourism. He called it a shame that Kerala has done so little for disabled tourists even though tourism makes up for 12% of the state's GDP.
Accessible tourism begins with providing disabled visitors with accessible vehicles, specially-trained co-ordinators and tour guides, doctors and nursing staff, and accessible equipment.
Accessible equipment included ramps, automated ramps, wheelchairs, motorised wheelchairs, lifts-onto-vehicles, accessible washrooms and toilets, Braille and sign language-scripted materials and equipment for the blind and hearing impaired at all the tourists visit. This means airports, bus stations, hotels and at tourist destinations.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 12, 2019 IPL 2019- CSK beats RR
- Headlines April 14, 2019 Amitabh Bachchan pays 70 crore tax
- Accessibility April 17, 2019 Election Commission's PwD App has a welcome update for visually impaired voters
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Expectations from the next government of India - My Take by Jasmina Khanna
- Accessibility April 18, 2019 Platforms at Coimbatore railway station will now get lifts
- Headlines April 19, 2019 ‘Kalank’ is highest grosser on opening day for 2019
- Get-hooked April 13, 2019 Hygiene lessons for children with autism can be made fun, here's how
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Voting in second phase of elections today
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 #AutismPower - Mumbai's Cafe Arpan is brewing a change, along with great coffee
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Upcoming film 'Mental Hai Kya' starring Kangana, Rajkummar angers mental health experts
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News