Specialcare Holidays, India's 1st accessible travel company by a disabled entrepreneur
May 18, 2018
Specialcare Holidays, based in Kochi in Kerala, calls itself India's first holiday company for people with disabilities run by a disabled person. The company is set to make its launch this week!
The founder and managing director of Specialcare Holidays is Simon George. George says that the first group of tourists, is made up of about 150 disabled people from various parts of south India. The group will take a day-long houseboat cruise in Alappuzha on Saturday.
52-year-old George is paralyzed from the waist down and has been using a wheelchair for over three decades.
Thanks to his persistent efforts, the Department of Tourism in Kerala has agreed to introduce Accessible Tourism as a special service to promote tourism in the state.
George says he has been fighting all his life to promote the cause of accessible tourism. He called it a shame that Kerala has done so little for disabled tourists even though tourism makes up for 12% of the state's GDP.
Accessible tourism begins with providing disabled visitors with accessible vehicles, specially-trained co-ordinators and tour guides, doctors and nursing staff, and accessible equipment.
Accessible equipment included ramps, automated ramps, wheelchairs, motorised wheelchairs, lifts-onto-vehicles, accessible washrooms and toilets, Braille and sign language-scripted materials and equipment for the blind and hearing impaired at all the tourists visit. This means airports, bus stations, hotels and at tourist destinations.
Watch in Sign Language
- Dehradun pool forced to grant equal access to disabled adults after official intervention
June 27, 2019
- Deaf Entertainment is bringing the magic of movies to new audiences
June 26, 2019
- Introduction of a wheelchair ramp might not be just what disability rights groups in Chennai asked for
June 26, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked June 22, 2019 Growing number of fake disability certification rackets highlight need for stricter checks & action
- Events June 26, 2019 Music therapy for special needs children
- Headlines June 20, 2019 Panel to review ‘One Nation, One Election’ plan
- Parasports June 26, 2019 Ireland win puts para shuttler Pramod Bhagat among contenders for Tokyo Paralympics
- Headlines June 25, 2019 RBI Deputy Governor resigns
- Get-hooked June 21, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Get-hooked June 26, 2019 Nationwide contest seeks to unearth and showcase talented blind cooks
- Get-hooked June 25, 2019 United Kingdom government grants visa to blind Indian musicians, reverses earlier order
- Headlines June 27, 2019 Father pleads guilty in death of adoptive disabled child
- Headlines June 22, 2019 Injury scares hit Indian cricket team
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News