A chess championship started in memory of disabled grandmaster Shailesh Nerlikar
May 21, 2018
Chess champion Shailesh Nerlikar, who represented India in the World Disability Championship in 2015 and the Malaysian Paralympiad in 2016, passed away on 10 May this year.
In his memory, the Victorious Chess Academy and the Pune District Chess Association held the first Shailesh Nerlikar Memorial State Rapid Chess Championship on Sunday.
The championship had two categories - Open and Under.
Nerlikar, who was living with 100% disability due to quadriplegia, started playing chess at the age of 15. Nerlikar had fragile bones and locked joints. Soon he developed a passion for the game and started teaching himself. He started playing at local championships in Kolhapur.
Nerlikar met chess champions who later became his coach such as Grand Master Kapil Lohana, and Grand Master Shekhar Ganguly. They helped him develop his grip over the game. He never let his disability come in the way of his love for the game.
He could not walk by himself so other players would carry him to the venue.
Nerlikar was awarded an international rating of 1,743 points by the World Chess Federation (FIDE), which was a high point for him.
Nerlikar passed away while preparing for an upcoming international chess championship. Victorious Academy is also planning to launch a film and a book on the chess champion.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility April 19, 2019 CBSE to allow visual aids in Class 10 exams from 2020 for students with vision impairments
- Headlines April 16, 2019 Yogi, Mayawati banned by ECI
- Technology April 15, 2019 Low cost foot orthosis among the promising innovations on display at IIT-Bombay's annual device expo
- Events April 18, 2019 Planet Autism Art Exhibition
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Headlines April 21, 2019 IPL 2019 - Royals & Capitals win
- Get-hooked April 17, 2019 Karnataka candidate Ramanjinappa has an inclusive mission
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 Understanding Stimming
- Parasports April 17, 2019 Bethany Society Shillong are champs at the 4th national blind football tournament
- Headlines April 15, 2019 World’s largest plane takes off successfully
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Headlines April 13, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News