A chess championship started in memory of disabled grandmaster Shailesh Nerlikar
Chess champion Shailesh Nerlikar, who represented India in the World Disability Championship in 2015 and the Malaysian Paralympiad in 2016, passed away on 10 May this year.
In his memory, the Victorious Chess Academy and the Pune District Chess Association held the first Shailesh Nerlikar Memorial State Rapid Chess Championship on Sunday.
The championship had two categories - Open and Under.
Nerlikar, who was living with 100% disability due to quadriplegia, started playing chess at the age of 15. Nerlikar had fragile bones and locked joints. Soon he developed a passion for the game and started teaching himself. He started playing at local championships in Kolhapur.
Nerlikar met chess champions who later became his coach such as Grand Master Kapil Lohana, and Grand Master Shekhar Ganguly. They helped him develop his grip over the game. He never let his disability come in the way of his love for the game.
He could not walk by himself so other players would carry him to the venue.
Nerlikar was awarded an international rating of 1,743 points by the World Chess Federation (FIDE), which was a high point for him.
Nerlikar passed away while preparing for an upcoming international chess championship. Victorious Academy is also planning to launch a film and a book on the chess champion.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines December 12, 2018 Election results from 5 states, massive disappointment for BJP
- Headlines December 11, 2018 RBI Governor Urjit Patel resigns
- Accessibility December 9, 2018 Bengaluru’s Namma Pride gets a thumbs up for its accessibility features
- Get-hooked December 10, 2018 This Ability - Gift Abled - Inclusiveness - Guest Column by Richa Sharma, Special Educator
- Get-hooked December 9, 2018 Stay healthy & fit in a wheelchair. Here's how
- Headlines December 13, 2018 Congress to form government in MP with Mayawati’s support
- Headlines December 8, 2018 Rajasthan Chief Minister Vasundhara Raje accuses opposition leader of body-shaming
- Employment December 11, 2018 Learn sign language over a cuppa at this Jodhpur cafe
- Headlines December 12, 2018 Shaktikanta Das to succeed Urjit Patel as RBI governor
- Technology December 10, 2018 Bengaluru meet brings together key stakeholders working on indigenous assistive tech solutions
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News