Permanent jobs, accessible infrastructure among key demands made by disabled teachers in Chennai
Disabled teachers working in government schools in Chennai staged a protest to draw attention to their poor working conditions.
There were over 15 teachers who staged a protest outside the Directorate of School Education on College Road. Their main demand was that the salary dues be paid.
The teachers also demanded that their jobs be made permanent as they have worked for over two years at salaries designated for temporary employees.
They also demanded that teachers who have taught the Arts subject in government colleges for over six years be made permanent employees with a guaranteed government pension.
The teachers also pointed to the lack of accessibility infrastructure in schools and colleges, which made it hard for them to access their workplace.
The Tamil Nadu Association for the Rights of All Types of Differently Abled and Caregivers (TARATDAC), which is a leading disability rights group in the state, says that there are 12,000 art teachers in government schools across the state. Of this there are 150 teachers with disabilities.
All these 150 teachers are still in temporary posts despite a government order that teachers should be made permanent employees if they have worked for more than two years. The order also says that teachers should be brought from the consolidated pay scale under the Time pay scale. This has not been implemented either.
Government school and college teachers in Tamil Nadu have been protesting against the newly introduced pension scheme. They are also asking that their pay commission arrears be paid to them.
Watch in Sign Language
- Staff from schools for disabled kids protest against government apathy in Kerala
December 15, 2018
- Visual impairment is no barrier to a successful career. Here are some tips
December 12, 2018
- Learn sign language over a cuppa at this Jodhpur cafe
December 11, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Employment December 11, 2018 Learn sign language over a cuppa at this Jodhpur cafe
- Headlines December 14, 2018 Senior BJP leader questions choice of new RBI governor, party embarrassed
- Get-hooked December 10, 2018 This Ability - Gift Abled - Inclusiveness - Guest Column by Richa Sharma, Special Educator
- Technology December 10, 2018 Bengaluru meet brings together key stakeholders working on indigenous assistive tech solutions
- Events December 11, 2018 Forging the Assistive Technology value chain
- Get-hooked December 12, 2018 Society attitudes are a big threat for development of children with disabilities
- Headlines December 13, 2018 Zomato delivery boy sacked after video goes viral
- Headlines December 16, 2018 13 miners in Meghalaya feared dead, search operations on
- Get-hooked December 12, 2018 Abuse at therapy centres in Kerala under scanner again, government promises redressal
- Headlines December 12, 2018 Shaktikanta Das to succeed Urjit Patel as RBI governor
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News