Read how this blind woman sarpanch from Gujarat is challenging notions about disability & gender
Sudha Patel is the youngest elected sarpanch of Changa village of Petlad taluka in Gujarat's Anand district.
Patel, who is in her forties, is blind but she recognizes every villager by his or her voice and is dedicated to helping them.
Patel's father was a sarpanch for 10 years and her mother is a home-maker. Initially, people in Patel's village were unaware of her capabilities. They regarded her as just a woman without sight.
It was when Patel gave them an idea of how infrastructural development can change Changa, that they all started believing in her.
While campaigning to become sarpanch, Patel just asked the villagers to have faith in her and her work. Over the years, she has installed water pumps and borewells, and opened schools for children.
She has also rented eight lakes in her village, creating income up to Rs eight lakh for Changa. The village today is fully developed with good hospitals, conference halls, and every person is educated till class 10. Every school has computers too.
Patel now works as a project coordinator in a private trust in Anand that works to help children with physical disabilities. She has received the award for Outstanding Woman Panchayat leader of India.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility December 9, 2018 Bengaluru’s Namma Pride gets a thumbs up for its accessibility features
- Headlines December 13, 2018 Congress to form government in MP with Mayawati’s support
- Headlines December 14, 2018 Isha Ambani & Anand Piramal ties the knot at Ambani’s residence in Mumbai
- Get-hooked December 8, 2018 Deaf people are gathering at Delhi's Jantar Mantar for a common cause
- Get-hooked December 10, 2018 This Ability - Gift Abled - Inclusiveness - Guest Column by Richa Sharma, Special Educator
- Headlines December 13, 2018 India vs Australia - Prithvi Shaw will miss second Test
- Headlines December 10, 2018 Top world celebs at Isha Ambani’s pre-wedding festivities
- Headlines December 8, 2018 Singer Mika Singh detained& released in Dubai over sexual harassment allegations
- Get-hooked December 11, 2018 Samarthanam's Bengaluru Walkathon highlights inclusion in digital media
- Headlines December 8, 2018 PM Narendra Modi meets UP Chief Minister on Bulandshahr violence
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News