Read how this blind woman sarpanch from Gujarat is challenging notions about disability & gender
May 24, 2018
Sudha Patel is the youngest elected sarpanch of Changa village of Petlad taluka in Gujarat's Anand district.
Patel, who is in her forties, is blind but she recognizes every villager by his or her voice and is dedicated to helping them.
Patel's father was a sarpanch for 10 years and her mother is a home-maker. Initially, people in Patel's village were unaware of her capabilities. They regarded her as just a woman without sight.
It was when Patel gave them an idea of how infrastructural development can change Changa, that they all started believing in her.
While campaigning to become sarpanch, Patel just asked the villagers to have faith in her and her work. Over the years, she has installed water pumps and borewells, and opened schools for children.
She has also rented eight lakes in her village, creating income up to Rs eight lakh for Changa. The village today is fully developed with good hospitals, conference halls, and every person is educated till class 10. Every school has computers too.
Patel now works as a project coordinator in a private trust in Anand that works to help children with physical disabilities. She has received the award for Outstanding Woman Panchayat leader of India.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Education June 16, 2019 Delhi University clarifies rules regarding disabled certificate validity for admissions
- Headlines June 14, 2019 PM Modi tells ministers to get to work on time
- Headlines June 15, 2019 Bengal doctors' protest spreads to other cities
- Events June 11, 2019 Maximising Progress in Autism
- Headlines June 10, 2019 Maldives confers Modi with highest honour
- Technology June 13, 2019 #TechThursdays - EMx turns the spotlight on early intervention & inclusive education in the 3rd edition
- Get-hooked June 10, 2019 Budding poet Neerada uses words to shatter notions about autism
- Headlines June 15, 2019 Pakistan under pressure ahead of India match
- Accessibility June 17, 2019 Tyre maker Goodyear partners with NAB to conduct road safety training in Delhi for blind people
- Employment June 17, 2019 #AutismPower - SAI Bakery offers adults with developmental disabilities space to bond & learn
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News