Read how this blind woman sarpanch from Gujarat is challenging notions about disability & gender
Sudha Patel is the youngest elected sarpanch of Changa village of Petlad taluka in Gujarat's Anand district.
Patel, who is in her forties, is blind but she recognizes every villager by his or her voice and is dedicated to helping them.
Patel's father was a sarpanch for 10 years and her mother is a home-maker. Initially, people in Patel's village were unaware of her capabilities. They regarded her as just a woman without sight.
It was when Patel gave them an idea of how infrastructural development can change Changa, that they all started believing in her.
While campaigning to become sarpanch, Patel just asked the villagers to have faith in her and her work. Over the years, she has installed water pumps and borewells, and opened schools for children.
She has also rented eight lakes in her village, creating income up to Rs eight lakh for Changa. The village today is fully developed with good hospitals, conference halls, and every person is educated till class 10. Every school has computers too.
Patel now works as a project coordinator in a private trust in Anand that works to help children with physical disabilities. She has received the award for Outstanding Woman Panchayat leader of India.
Watch in Sign Language
- One billion youth face risk of hearing loss, warns United Nations
February 18, 2019
- Naa Mein Naa Hai. Consent and Love. - Guest Column by Srinidhi Raghavan
February 18, 2019
- Understanding Rett Syndrome
February 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports February 12, 2019 Indian disabled cricket team gets invite from Pakistan
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Outsider Art at the Kochi Muziris Biennale opens doors to people with autism
- Get-hooked February 12, 2019 Cherish your life with all its unique flaws and blessings- My Take by Sundari Sivasubbu, Author
- Get-hooked February 13, 2019 Deaf groups in Pune to protest against Maharashtra government's neglect of their needs
- Accessibility February 15, 2019 Review petition challenging 50% vision, hearing disability limit for judge's post to be filed next week
- Events February 14, 2019 Ghazal Nite
- Events February 14, 2019 Be a Valentine - Celebrate Love
- Events February 17, 2019 Skills Development Transition Program
- Headlines February 18, 2019 Superstar Rajinikanth will not contest Lok Sabha Elections
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 The incredibly gifted Piyush Sharma defies all stereotypes regarding disability
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News