Deaf model Nyle DiMarco says fashion industry needs to do more for people with disabilities
May 25, 2018
Model Nyle DiMarco, who has appeared on popular show America's Next Top Model, and is deaf says that the fashion industry is not doing enough to include people with disabilities.
DiMarco said that the industry forgets that disability groups are a large minority and the fashion industry is missing a huge opportunity to reach out to people with disabilities.
He said that even though he is a part of the fashion industry, big campaigns don't hire him because he is deaf. However, DiMarco is hopeful as he has seen a change over in the past few years in how people interact with him as a model.
DiMarco says he is still often left out of experiences with photographers and people on the sets of shoots because of his disability. Decisions are made without involving him because he is not able to communicate in their language.
DiMarco says he does not give up and engages via text and gestures so they realize that it is easy to reach out and engage.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events June 17, 2019 Indian Freedom Struggle through a musical play
- Headlines June 12, 2019 Kerala cops, Interpol join hands to fight child abuse
- Events June 11, 2019 Golden Eye Chef 2019
- Events June 13, 2019 Own Your Life- Session for Parents
- Technology June 12, 2019 Chatbot Mera Mitra aims to be the personal companion for all things to do with disability in India
- Get-hooked June 18, 2019 Celebrate Autism Pride Day, every day
- Headlines June 12, 2019 Supreme Court orders release of arrested journalist
- Headlines June 16, 2019 Shikhar Dhawan will not be replaced, says Virat
- Accessibility June 15, 2019 Delhi government failure to implement key RPWD Act provision sign of larger apathy
- Headlines June 18, 2019 Doctors call off strike after meeting with Mamata Banerjee
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News