Deaf model Nyle DiMarco says fashion industry needs to do more for people with disabilities
May 25, 2018
Model Nyle DiMarco, who has appeared on popular show America's Next Top Model, and is deaf says that the fashion industry is not doing enough to include people with disabilities.
DiMarco said that the industry forgets that disability groups are a large minority and the fashion industry is missing a huge opportunity to reach out to people with disabilities.
He said that even though he is a part of the fashion industry, big campaigns don't hire him because he is deaf. However, DiMarco is hopeful as he has seen a change over in the past few years in how people interact with him as a model.
DiMarco says he is still often left out of experiences with photographers and people on the sets of shoots because of his disability. Decisions are made without involving him because he is not able to communicate in their language.
DiMarco says he does not give up and engages via text and gestures so they realize that it is easy to reach out and engage.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events April 15, 2019 Tandem Challenge
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Google bans TikTok in India
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Consider loss of internal organs as disability, orders Madras High Court
- Headlines April 16, 2019 Yogi, Mayawati banned by ECI
- Get-hooked April 17, 2019 Karnataka candidate Ramanjinappa has an inclusive mission
- Events April 18, 2019 Treasure Island
- Accessibility April 19, 2019 CBSE to allow visual aids in Class 10 exams from 2020 for students with vision impairments
- Events April 18, 2019 EasterFest
- Headlines April 19, 2019 ‘Kalank’ is highest grosser on opening day for 2019
- Accessibility April 13, 2019 Calcutta High Court rules in favour of medical student with mental disorder who was denied admission
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News