Deaf teacher Archana Timmaraju rides from Bengaluru to Ladakh to build greater inclusion
May 25, 2018
Archana Timmaraju, a deaf and speech impaired biker from Bengaluru, received a warm welcome in Chandigarh as she halted for a stopover on her way back from Ladakh.
The 33-year-old started the 8,000-km long journey from Bengaluru to Ladakh on 29 April and hopes to return home by 29 May. Accompanying her on this journey is an interpreter and colleague Daniel Sundaram.
Archana was greeted by 20 deaf and hard of hearing people when she stopped in Chandigarh. They were all waiting to hear her experiences. Archana says she wants this ride to open a new world for people who are deaf and hard of hearing.
Archana, who is an arts and metal sculpture teacher at a Bengaluru school also hopes to build greater inclusion. She sees this journey as an effort to explore herself and share her experiences with society.
Archana got her first experience of riding when a friend gave her a Yamaha RX 100 bike. She started riding with other bikers in Bengaluru. She eventually went on to found a company called Silent Expedition to create more opportunities for the hearing-impaired to explore the world.
She has been hosted by various riding clubs and members of deaf communities in cities like Davangere, Belgaum, Thane, Vapi, Vadodara and Udaipur.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility June 15, 2019 Delhi government failure to implement key RPWD Act provision sign of larger apathy
- Get-hooked June 16, 2019 Some tips to protect disabled children from bullying
- Events June 17, 2019 Indian Freedom Struggle through a musical play
- Education June 16, 2019 Delhi University clarifies rules regarding disabled certificate validity for admissions
- Events June 13, 2019 Own Your Life- Session for Parents
- Headlines June 18, 2019 Bhuvneshwar Kumar out for 2 matches
- Headlines June 13, 2019 Outrage over Pakistani ad mocking Indian pilot
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News