Deaf teacher Archana Timmaraju rides from Bengaluru to Ladakh to build greater inclusion
Archana Timmaraju, a deaf and speech impaired biker from Bengaluru, received a warm welcome in Chandigarh as she halted for a stopover on her way back from Ladakh.
The 33-year-old started the 8,000-km long journey from Bengaluru to Ladakh on 29 April and hopes to return home by 29 May. Accompanying her on this journey is an interpreter and colleague Daniel Sundaram.
Archana was greeted by 20 deaf and hard of hearing people when she stopped in Chandigarh. They were all waiting to hear her experiences. Archana says she wants this ride to open a new world for people who are deaf and hard of hearing.
Archana, who is an arts and metal sculpture teacher at a Bengaluru school also hopes to build greater inclusion. She sees this journey as an effort to explore herself and share her experiences with society.
Archana got her first experience of riding when a friend gave her a Yamaha RX 100 bike. She started riding with other bikers in Bengaluru. She eventually went on to found a company called Silent Expedition to create more opportunities for the hearing-impaired to explore the world.
She has been hosted by various riding clubs and members of deaf communities in cities like Davangere, Belgaum, Thane, Vapi, Vadodara and Udaipur.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines December 12, 2018 United Kingdom court orders extradition of Vijay Mallya to India
- Headlines December 15, 2018 Supreme Court orders that there should be no further investigation on Rafale deal
- Accessibility December 11, 2018 The wheelchair has given me wings to fly! - My Take by Dr Divya Singh
- Get-hooked December 12, 2018 Some benefits of yoga for children with autism
- Accessibility December 17, 2018 Disabled travellers raise concern over toilets being shut down in railway platforms
- Headlines December 14, 2018 Senior BJP leader questions choice of new RBI governor, party embarrassed
- Headlines December 11, 2018 Farmer sells 2,000-kg onion for 6/-, sends money to top politician
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked December 14, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Employment December 11, 2018