Gujarat government to fully implement RPWD Act 2016, promises to become 100% disabled-friendly
May 26, 2018
It has been more than two years since the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill, 2016 has been passed in India. However, many states in India are yet to implement the Act. Gujarat promises to change this. The state says it is geared up to completely implement the RPWD Act.
An official from the Social Justice and Empowerment Department has said that authorities have started to look into different ways in which Gujarat can be made accessible and disabled-friendly. This is already in its final stages of preparation.
Additional reservation in higher education, government jobs, and allocation in various developmental schemes for people with disabilities are some of the main areas that are looked into by authorities.
Wheelchair ramps will be made compulsory in all private and government buildings across Gujarat.
Till now, reservations for disabled people in government jobs were 3% to 4%. This will be raised. A 5% quota will be given to disabled people under various developmental schemes in the state.
Officials also said that a State Advisory Board on Disability will be set up to look into the matters of disabled people from a district level.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility April 14, 2019 Accessibility issues reported from across India on first phase of voting
- Headlines April 14, 2019 Maneka Gandhi gets notice from Election Commission
- Get-hooked April 15, 2019 What Good Are We? - Guest column by Arun Dua
- Headlines April 16, 2019 IPL 2019 - Mumbai beat Bengaluru
- Headlines April 16, 2019 World Cup Cricket - Indian side announced
- Headlines April 15, 2019 Elections 2019 - Shatrughan Sinha wants to fight PM Modi
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Google bans TikTok in India
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Events April 16, 2019 Learning Through Play Workshop
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 #AutismPower - Julia's family feature all through April on popular show Sesame Street
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News