Gujarat government to fully implement RPWD Act 2016, promises to become 100% disabled-friendly
May 26, 2018
It has been more than two years since the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill, 2016 has been passed in India. However, many states in India are yet to implement the Act. Gujarat promises to change this. The state says it is geared up to completely implement the RPWD Act.
An official from the Social Justice and Empowerment Department has said that authorities have started to look into different ways in which Gujarat can be made accessible and disabled-friendly. This is already in its final stages of preparation.
Additional reservation in higher education, government jobs, and allocation in various developmental schemes for people with disabilities are some of the main areas that are looked into by authorities.
Wheelchair ramps will be made compulsory in all private and government buildings across Gujarat.
Till now, reservations for disabled people in government jobs were 3% to 4%. This will be raised. A 5% quota will be given to disabled people under various developmental schemes in the state.
Officials also said that a State Advisory Board on Disability will be set up to look into the matters of disabled people from a district level.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events June 13, 2019 Own Your Life- Session for Parents
- Headlines June 16, 2019 Shikhar Dhawan will not be replaced, says Virat
- Headlines June 11, 2019 Rich tributes paid to veteran actor Girish Karnad
- Events June 13, 2019 SLD Awareness Programme
- Events June 13, 2019 ABBF Weekend Ride
- Get-hooked June 16, 2019 Some tips to protect disabled children from bullying
- Events June 11, 2019 25th World Cardiology Conference
- Events June 11, 2019 Maximising Progress in Autism
- Headlines June 16, 2019 Mamata Banerjee accepts demands of protesting doctors
- Parasports June 13, 2019 Shekhar Naik Foundation gives hope to aspiring blind cricketers
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News