Gujarat government to fully implement RPWD Act 2016, promises to become 100% disabled-friendly
It has been more than two years since the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill, 2016 has been passed in India. However, many states in India are yet to implement the Act. Gujarat promises to change this. The state says it is geared up to completely implement the RPWD Act.
An official from the Social Justice and Empowerment Department has said that authorities have started to look into different ways in which Gujarat can be made accessible and disabled-friendly. This is already in its final stages of preparation.
Additional reservation in higher education, government jobs, and allocation in various developmental schemes for people with disabilities are some of the main areas that are looked into by authorities.
Wheelchair ramps will be made compulsory in all private and government buildings across Gujarat.
Till now, reservations for disabled people in government jobs were 3% to 4%. This will be raised. A 5% quota will be given to disabled people under various developmental schemes in the state.
Officials also said that a State Advisory Board on Disability will be set up to look into the matters of disabled people from a district level.
Watch in Sign Language
- One billion youth face risk of hearing loss, warns United Nations
February 18, 2019
- Naa Mein Naa Hai. Consent and Love. - Guest Column by Srinidhi Raghavan
February 18, 2019
- Understanding Rett Syndrome
February 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines February 18, 2019 Salman Khan donates for families of Pulwama martyrs
- Get-hooked February 12, 2019 Children with autism showcase their talents at Kochi event
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 Coming national election may be boycotted by Maharashtra's deaf community
- Events February 17, 2019 Meraki – Where Art Exceeds Artists
- Parasports February 18, 2019 Chessbase India bats for disabled players at a time when official support is hard to come by
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Kashmir attack - Pakistan under pressure to end support to terror groups
- Events February 14, 2019 Walkathon for Mental Health Awareness
- Headlines February 12, 2019 Priyanka Gandhi launches mega poll rally in U.P
- Events February 17, 2019 Mumbai Memory Cafe- Session 3
- Headlines February 15, 2019 India vs Australia - Update
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News