Gujarat government to fully implement RPWD Act 2016, promises to become 100% disabled-friendly
It has been more than two years since the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill, 2016 has been passed in India. However, many states in India are yet to implement the Act. Gujarat promises to change this. The state says it is geared up to completely implement the RPWD Act.
An official from the Social Justice and Empowerment Department has said that authorities have started to look into different ways in which Gujarat can be made accessible and disabled-friendly. This is already in its final stages of preparation.
Additional reservation in higher education, government jobs, and allocation in various developmental schemes for people with disabilities are some of the main areas that are looked into by authorities.
Wheelchair ramps will be made compulsory in all private and government buildings across Gujarat.
Till now, reservations for disabled people in government jobs were 3% to 4%. This will be raised. A 5% quota will be given to disabled people under various developmental schemes in the state.
Officials also said that a State Advisory Board on Disability will be set up to look into the matters of disabled people from a district level.
Watch in Sign Language
- Health Problems in children with Autism
December 16, 2018
- Empowerment of disabled women was the focus of cross disability workshops in Kerala
December 16, 2018
- 21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 - Hearing Impairment - Deaf and hard of hearing
December 15, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports December 11, 2018 Protest by Kerala para sportspersons to draw attention to struggle for facilities, funding
- Events December 13, 2018 6th India International Deaf film festival 2019
- Education December 14, 2018 Top medical institute in Chandigarh under scanner for discriminating against disabled candidates
- Headlines December 12, 2018 Shaktikanta Das to succeed Urjit Patel as RBI governor
- Events December 13, 2018 DRIVE FOR AUTISM - A TSD CAR RALLY
- Headlines December 15, 2018 Supreme Court orders that there should be no further investigation on Rafale deal
- Employment December 12, 2018 Visual impairment is no barrier to a successful career. Here are some tips
- Get-hooked December 15, 2018 21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 - Hearing Impairment - Deaf and hard of hearing
- Get-hooked December 15, 2018 Trending stories on Newzhook this week!
- Headlines December 16, 2018 13 miners in Meghalaya feared dead, search operations on
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Employment December 11, 2018