Over one lakh babies screened in Kerala under Newborn Hearing Screening Programme
May 26, 2018
The Newborn Hearing Screening Programme was launched 15 years ago in Kerala. It has been called a path breaking health initiative by many international health organizations, including the World Health Organization (WHO).
Under the programme, over 1.5 lakh infants in Kerala have been screened so far. Of these, hearing defects were detected in 317 kids.
Experts from the programme say that if hearing loss is detected at birth and treated, most kids are able to develop near normal speech and language skills with the help of hearing aids alone. This means that expensive surgeries and learning disability can be avoided.
When the programme started, only two hospitals were associated with it. There was just one screening equipment available, with just one trained person to conduct the test.
Six months after the launch, the first case of possible hearing loss was detected which gave the programme a boost. Soon, it was launched in 32 hospitals in Kochi. It was soon implemented across Ernakulum district, and now 78 of the total 91 hospitals in the district are associated with the project.
The Ernakulam district model is being looked at to be implemented in other parts of India and South East Asia.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 22, 2019 India deploys warships in view of US-Iran conflict
- Get-hooked June 26, 2019 Nationwide contest seeks to unearth and showcase talented blind cooks
- Get-hooked June 21, 2019 Uber India apology to disability rights activist not enough, call for concrete measures
- Accessibility June 24, 2019 Buttons 2 Button is an adaptive clothing idea straight from a mom's heart
- Get-hooked June 19, 2019 At this Chennai grocery shop, people with autism show their skills at customer service
- Education June 19, 2019 Parents, special educators group files RTI into status of inclusive education in Kerala
- Headlines June 24, 2019 Afghanistan match was a lesson, says Virat
- Events June 20, 2019 Workshop on Behaviour Therapy
- Get-hooked June 22, 2019 Growing number of fake disability certification rackets highlight need for stricter checks & action
- Get-hooked June 22, 2019 Parenting Corner - Parent’s role in education
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News