Over one lakh babies screened in Kerala under Newborn Hearing Screening Programme
The Newborn Hearing Screening Programme was launched 15 years ago in Kerala. It has been called a path breaking health initiative by many international health organizations, including the World Health Organization (WHO).
Under the programme, over 1.5 lakh infants in Kerala have been screened so far. Of these, hearing defects were detected in 317 kids.
Experts from the programme say that if hearing loss is detected at birth and treated, most kids are able to develop near normal speech and language skills with the help of hearing aids alone. This means that expensive surgeries and learning disability can be avoided.
When the programme started, only two hospitals were associated with it. There was just one screening equipment available, with just one trained person to conduct the test.
Six months after the launch, the first case of possible hearing loss was detected which gave the programme a boost. Soon, it was launched in 32 hospitals in Kochi. It was soon implemented across Ernakulum district, and now 78 of the total 91 hospitals in the district are associated with the project.
The Ernakulam district model is being looked at to be implemented in other parts of India and South East Asia.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events October 17, 2018 Inclusive Dandiya Nite
- Get-hooked October 12, 2018 Some ways to celebrate an inclusive dandiya festival
- Get-hooked October 15, 2018 Sarbojonin in name only, not in practice - Guest column by Arita Acharjee & Annesha Dasgupta
- Get-hooked October 16, 2018 Goa Governor’s comment about blind people raises hackles
- Accessibility October 12, 2018 A Durga Puja pandal in Kolkata that is accessible to visually impaired people
- Get-hooked October 13, 2018 21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 – Mental Illness
- Headlines October 18, 2018 #MeToo impact: Union Minister M J Akbar resigns over complaints of sexual harassment
- Headlines October 17, 2018 Congress loses majority in Goa as 2 MLAs join BJP
- Parasports October 17, 2018 Deepak Malik's century gives India lead against Sri Lanka in Blind Cricket Twenty20 series
- Parasports October 14, 2018 India win Blind Cricket Tri Series final, beat Sri Lanka by 10 wickets
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked October 16, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News