Artificial Intelligence helps detect blindness in babies effectively, says study
A study by the Oregon Health and Science University has found that artificial intelligence seems to perform better than human doctors, when it comes to the diagnosis of retinopathy of prematurity (ROP). ROP is a major cause of childhood blindness around the world.
The AI method is accurate 91% of the time. Compare this to experts in ROP, who were found to be accurate 82% of the time!
Many children around the world go undiagnosed and the study could help prevent blindness in more babies with ROP. The disease is usually diagnosed by using a magnifying device that shines light into the baby’s dilated eye.
There is a major shortage of experts who are trained and willing to diagnose ROP, say experts. The AI method puts the knowledge of skilled ophthalmologists into a mathematical model. This helps give an timely and accurate diagnosis.
ROP is caused by the abnormal growth of blood vessels near the retina. It is common in premature babies. Musician Stevie Wonder’s blindness was caused by the condition.
Physicians examine the vessels of the retina at the back of eyes to find out whether a patient has ROP.
Watch in Sign Language
- Tobii Dynavox eye tracker is opening new world to little Ganga & others like her
February 14, 2019
- Move to promote inclusion or mere gimmick? Disability-themed emojis for 2019 get mixed reviews
February 11, 2019
- BleeTV offers accessible, stimulating content, on demand, in Indian sign language
February 7, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Technology February 11, 2019 Move to promote inclusion or mere gimmick? Disability-themed emojis for 2019 get mixed reviews
- Events February 14, 2019 Ghazal Nite
- Events February 14, 2019 Be a Valentine - Celebrate Love
- Get-hooked February 9, 2019 Udaan Idol Little Champs, Radio Udaan's annual music competition for disabled kids attracts huge response
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Outsider Art at the Kochi Muziris Biennale opens doors to people with autism
- Accessibility February 13, 2019 Kerala government introduces exclusive courts to handle cases for disabled people
- Get-hooked February 12, 2019 Children with autism showcase their talents at Kochi event
- Events February 9, 2019 The Learning Factory, a Musical Puppet Play
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Parenting Corner - Autism in girls
- Headlines February 9, 2019 Rohit Sharma becomes 1st Indian to hit 100 sixes
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News