Artificial Intelligence helps detect blindness in babies effectively, says study
May 27, 2018
A study by the Oregon Health and Science University has found that artificial intelligence seems to perform better than human doctors, when it comes to the diagnosis of retinopathy of prematurity (ROP). ROP is a major cause of childhood blindness around the world.
The AI method is accurate 91% of the time. Compare this to experts in ROP, who were found to be accurate 82% of the time!
Many children around the world go undiagnosed and the study could help prevent blindness in more babies with ROP. The disease is usually diagnosed by using a magnifying device that shines light into the baby's dilated eye.
There is a major shortage of experts who are trained and willing to diagnose ROP, say experts. The AI method puts the knowledge of skilled ophthalmologists into a mathematical model. This helps give an timely and accurate diagnosis.
ROP is caused by the abnormal growth of blood vessels near the retina. It is common in premature babies. Musician Stevie Wonder's blindness was caused by the condition.
Physicians examine the vessels of the retina at the back of eyes to find out whether a patient has ROP.
Watch in Sign Language
- New web-based remote promises to change TV viewing for people with disabilities
June 24, 2019
- #TechThursdays - Flexmo, a one-of-its-kind crutch, is engineered for all terrain types
June 20, 2019
- #TechThursdays - EMx turns the spotlight on early intervention & inclusive education in the 3rd edition
June 13, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events June 20, 2019 Mental Health Session
- Accessibility June 26, 2019 Introduction of a wheelchair ramp might not be just what disability rights groups in Chennai asked for
- Headlines June 23, 2019 Rahul Gandhi criticised for mocking Dog Squad yoga picture
- Events June 23, 2019 Certificate Course on Down Syndrome
- Headlines June 26, 2019 Mamata Banerjee says ‘Super Emergency’ in India since Modi rule
- Headlines June 24, 2019 India dismissed report on rising religious tensions
- Headlines June 23, 2019 ‘Kabir Singh’ becomes fourth-highest opener of 2019
- Headlines June 21, 2019 Rahul Gandhi firm on quitting as Congress chief
- Headlines June 22, 2019 Injury scares hit Indian cricket team
- Headlines June 23, 2019 Pakistan gets warning to curb terrorism by October
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News