Treat my disability as 'this ability', says Kargil war hero & blade runner in an inspiring speech
Major (Retd) D P Singh, a Kargil War veteran who is India's first blade runner, says his disability should be treated as "this ability".
In an inspiring speech to senior Army officers and disabled soldiers at the Jaipur Military Station, he shared his near-death experience during the war.
Major Singh survived many injuries during the 1999 Kargil War, but lost his leg to a mortar fire from Pakistan. He had to fight a tough mental battle against his physical disability. In his speech, he talked about this and urged others to do the same.
He said that people should not be defeated by negative thoughts. Major Singh says that his approach was to accept the new challenges that came up in his life.
Major Singh's extraordinary journey from an Army officer to an amputee marathon runner has made him a much wanted motivational speaker.
He shared his three-point success formula with the audience. These are to accept the reality, learn to control the mind, and increase the capacity to achieve what you have wished.
Major Singh openly talked about his struggles in life as an amputee. He said that he chose to focus on increasing his capabilities by doing what a man with both legs can do. He said he wanted to show the world what can be achieved with willpower and determination.
He has successfully participated in 18 marathons after his leg was amputated. Major Singh asked disabled soldiers and others to not give up ever and stay cheerful in every situation.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 Coming national election may be boycotted by Maharashtra's deaf community
- Events February 12, 2019 Empowering for Inclusion Summit 2019
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 Disability rights body seeks Health Minister's intervention to overturn guidelines that discriminate against MBBS aspirants
- Get-hooked February 12, 2019 Children with autism showcase their talents at Kochi event
- Events February 17, 2019 National Conference on Assistive Technology for All 2030
- Events February 14, 2019 Be a Valentine - Celebrate Love
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Outsider Art at the Kochi Muziris Biennale opens doors to people with autism
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked February 11, 2019
Get-hooked February 18, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News