Treat my disability as 'this ability', says Kargil war hero & blade runner in an inspiring speech
May 28, 2018
Major (Retd) D P Singh, a Kargil War veteran who is India's first blade runner, says his disability should be treated as "this ability".
In an inspiring speech to senior Army officers and disabled soldiers at the Jaipur Military Station, he shared his near-death experience during the war.
Major Singh survived many injuries during the 1999 Kargil War, but lost his leg to a mortar fire from Pakistan. He had to fight a tough mental battle against his physical disability. In his speech, he talked about this and urged others to do the same.
He said that people should not be defeated by negative thoughts. Major Singh says that his approach was to accept the new challenges that came up in his life.
Major Singh's extraordinary journey from an Army officer to an amputee marathon runner has made him a much wanted motivational speaker.
He shared his three-point success formula with the audience. These are to accept the reality, learn to control the mind, and increase the capacity to achieve what you have wished.
Major Singh openly talked about his struggles in life as an amputee. He said that he chose to focus on increasing his capabilities by doing what a man with both legs can do. He said he wanted to show the world what can be achieved with willpower and determination.
He has successfully participated in 18 marathons after his leg was amputated. Major Singh asked disabled soldiers and others to not give up ever and stay cheerful in every situation.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 22, 2019 Sadhvi Thakur slapped with notice over statements
- Accessibility April 19, 2019 Election Commission's accessibility promises ring hollow in second phase of voting
- Headlines April 20, 2019 IPL 2019 - Bengaluru beat Kolkata
- Accessibility April 19, 2019 CBSE to allow visual aids in Class 10 exams from 2020 for students with vision impairments
- Accessibility April 22, 2019 Court order paves way for woman without fingerprints to get Aadhaar card
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 #AutismPower - Five takeaways from a run with Varun Sawant by Vineet Saraiwala
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Inclusive Bowling event in Pune is the perfect weekend treat
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News