Treat my disability as 'this ability', says Kargil war hero & blade runner in an inspiring speech
May 28, 2018
Major (Retd) D P Singh, a Kargil War veteran who is India's first blade runner, says his disability should be treated as "this ability".
In an inspiring speech to senior Army officers and disabled soldiers at the Jaipur Military Station, he shared his near-death experience during the war.
Major Singh survived many injuries during the 1999 Kargil War, but lost his leg to a mortar fire from Pakistan. He had to fight a tough mental battle against his physical disability. In his speech, he talked about this and urged others to do the same.
He said that people should not be defeated by negative thoughts. Major Singh says that his approach was to accept the new challenges that came up in his life.
Major Singh's extraordinary journey from an Army officer to an amputee marathon runner has made him a much wanted motivational speaker.
He shared his three-point success formula with the audience. These are to accept the reality, learn to control the mind, and increase the capacity to achieve what you have wished.
Major Singh openly talked about his struggles in life as an amputee. He said that he chose to focus on increasing his capabilities by doing what a man with both legs can do. He said he wanted to show the world what can be achieved with willpower and determination.
He has successfully participated in 18 marathons after his leg was amputated. Major Singh asked disabled soldiers and others to not give up ever and stay cheerful in every situation.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked June 10, 2019 Accept, Respect, Empower each other - Guest Column by Tapas Bharadwaj
- Accessibility June 11, 2019 A warrior in the cause of digital accessibility - My Take by Sai Bhagat
- Education June 13, 2019 #ChangeMakers - National award winning teacher Manju Arif calls children the biggest inclusion champions
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Lyse Bin Muhammad combines medicine & disability activism with ease
- Accessibility June 15, 2019 MCI requirement for double certification puts disabled medical aspirants under undue stress
- Headlines June 16, 2019 Shikhar Dhawan will not be replaced, says Virat
- Headlines June 10, 2019 Dhoni gets government support on gloves issue
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News