Chennai's Egmore Museum to be made accessible for people with disabilities
The Egmore Museum in Chennai will soon become accessible for people with disabilities. From a staircase lift to ramps and tactile flooring for visually impaired people, the museum is working towards making all floors accessible under the Accessible India initiative.
The central government has allocated Rs two crore for the project. Work on modifications to this historic building started in January this year, according to authorities.
The tactile flooring will be installed on all the floors to help visually impaired people. The toilets are being made disabled-friendly as well. The number of accessible toilets that will be built is yet to be decided, but authorities say that it will be adequate.
The museum also plans to provide a separate parking space for disabled people. The modifications have to be done cautiously as the museum is a heritage building.
Watch in Sign Language
- Making gardening fun for wheelchair users
October 22, 2018
- Wheelchair taxi service Ezy Mov is set to go places
October 21, 2018
- Mumbai bookstore Trilogy is helping to spread the word about Braille
October 19, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines October 17, 2018 Animal lovers protest against decision to shoot down tigress Avni
- Get-hooked October 19, 2018 Cycling for children with autism, some information
- Employment October 19, 2018 An informative ‘Career Planning’ session for visually impaired people
- Headlines October 22, 2018 Three more women denied entry into Sabarimala
- Education October 20, 2018 Some ways to help kids with autism prepare for exams
- Get-hooked October 21, 2018 Check out these fun outings for children with autism
- Get-hooked October 20, 2018 21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 – Leprosy Cured persons
- Parasports October 15, 2018 Top sports brand Nike's move to sign up athlete with cerebral palsy hailed
- Events October 22, 2018 Sixth National Conference on Inclusive Education
- Technology October 17, 2018 Regional language dyslexia screening tool, DALI, now available as an app
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Accessibility October 16, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News