Chennai's Egmore Museum to be made accessible for people with disabilities
May 29, 2018
The Egmore Museum in Chennai will soon become accessible for people with disabilities. From a staircase lift to ramps and tactile flooring for visually impaired people, the museum is working towards making all floors accessible under the Accessible India initiative.
The central government has allocated Rs two crore for the project. Work on modifications to this historic building started in January this year, according to authorities.
The tactile flooring will be installed on all the floors to help visually impaired people. The toilets are being made disabled-friendly as well. The number of accessible toilets that will be built is yet to be decided, but authorities say that it will be adequate.
The museum also plans to provide a separate parking space for disabled people. The modifications have to be done cautiously as the museum is a heritage building.
Watch in Sign Language
- Western Railways’ monsoon helpdesks for disabled people, elderly are a winning idea
July 15, 2019
- Trichy Central Library brings written word alive for new audiences with a section for deaf readers
July 13, 2019
- Coimbatore City Municipal Corporation gets set to make buildings accessible
July 12, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events July 11, 2019 Swaradhar - Manthan 2019
- Headlines July 18, 2019 Dhoni unlikely for next tour, to be part of transitioning phase
- Headlines July 13, 2019 Hrithik Roshan’s ‘Super 30’ hits theatres
- Get-hooked July 16, 2019 Some tips to help a child with Down syndrome sleep better
- Events July 11, 2019 North East Disability Summit
- Events July 11, 2019 Special buddies program (Basic group)
- Education July 17, 2019 Kerala High Court upholds guidelines for therapy centres in the state
- Events July 14, 2019 Masti Time: Come share your stories
- Events July 18, 2019 Josh Run
- Headlines July 17, 2019 Death toll rises, lakhs left homeless in Assam floods
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News