Chennai's Egmore Museum to be made accessible for people with disabilities
The Egmore Museum in Chennai will soon become accessible for people with disabilities. From a staircase lift to ramps and tactile flooring for visually impaired people, the museum is working towards making all floors accessible under the Accessible India initiative.
The central government has allocated Rs two crore for the project. Work on modifications to this historic building started in January this year, according to authorities.
The tactile flooring will be installed on all the floors to help visually impaired people. The toilets are being made disabled-friendly as well. The number of accessible toilets that will be built is yet to be decided, but authorities say that it will be adequate.
The museum also plans to provide a separate parking space for disabled people. The modifications have to be done cautiously as the museum is a heritage building.
Watch in Sign Language
- Kozhikode Art Gallery under fire for blocking access to wheelchair users
February 18, 2019
- Accessible parking still remains distant dream for people with disabilities
February 17, 2019
- Review petition challenging 50% vision, hearing disability limit for judge's post to be filed next week
February 15, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 Coming national election may be boycotted by Maharashtra's deaf community
- Headlines February 17, 2019 Help pours in for families of slain CRPF soldiers
- Get-hooked February 12, 2019 Children with autism showcase their talents at Kochi event
- Technology February 14, 2019 Tobii Dynavox eye tracker is opening new world to little Ganga & others like her
- Headlines February 12, 2019 Priyanka Gandhi launches mega poll rally in U.P
- Headlines February 18, 2019 Kashmir Valley shuts down after terror attack
- Events February 17, 2019 National Conference on Assistive Technology for All 2030
- Technology February 17, 2019 Leveraging artificial intelligence for accessibility solutions focus of Microsoft India's Accessibility Summit
- Headlines February 12, 2019 Rajasthan Royals will wear pink this IPL season
- Events February 14, 2019 Free Eye Camp
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 14, 2019