Braille-enabled signboards used for the first time in West Bengal bypoll
May 29, 2018
For the first time in West Bengal, the Election Commission (EC) used Braille-enabled signboards carrying instructions for visually impaired voters.
It was introduced at all the polling stations in the Maheshtala Assembly by-election on Monday.
Senior EC officials said that the move to use Braille-enabled signboards was to ensure a hassle-free polling experience for visually impaired voters.
This initiative is part of the campaign to make elections more accessible to persons with disabilities.
The Braille-enabled signboards were put up at the entrance of all the 283 polling stations in the Maheshtala Assembly constituency, which is located in the South 24 Paraganas district.
Apart from the usual practice of displayed instructions for voters on how to use the electronic voting machine and Voter Verifiable Paper Audit Trail, the signboards also display the instructions in Braille.
The EC held consultations with officials of the West Bengal government departments to frame strategies on how to involve physically disabled voters in the polling process.
Nearly 2.48 lakh voters cast their votes in the Maheshtala Assembly by-election in 111 locations.
The bypoll saw a three-way contest between the Trinamool Congress (TMC), the Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) and the Bharatiya Janata Party. The result will be declared on 31 May.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 22, 2019 A session on managing your own career for people with visual impairments
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 Road to getting disability certificates filled with barriers for hemophilia patients
- Headlines April 21, 2019 IPL 2019 - Royals & Capitals win
- Headlines April 17, 2019 IPL 2019 - Rajasthan Royals lose again
- Headlines April 20, 2019 Make comedy film on PM Modi: Urmila Matondkar
- Headlines April 16, 2019 Yogi, Mayawati banned by ECI
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 Parenting Corner - Autism and dental health
- Events April 15, 2019 Tandem Challenge
- Parasports April 17, 2019 London will now host the ninth World Para Swimming Championship
- Headlines April 15, 2019 Elections 2019 - Shatrughan Sinha wants to fight PM Modi
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News