Braille-enabled signboards used for the first time in West Bengal bypoll
May 29, 2018
For the first time in West Bengal, the Election Commission (EC) used Braille-enabled signboards carrying instructions for visually impaired voters.
It was introduced at all the polling stations in the Maheshtala Assembly by-election on Monday.
Senior EC officials said that the move to use Braille-enabled signboards was to ensure a hassle-free polling experience for visually impaired voters.
This initiative is part of the campaign to make elections more accessible to persons with disabilities.
The Braille-enabled signboards were put up at the entrance of all the 283 polling stations in the Maheshtala Assembly constituency, which is located in the South 24 Paraganas district.
Apart from the usual practice of displayed instructions for voters on how to use the electronic voting machine and Voter Verifiable Paper Audit Trail, the signboards also display the instructions in Braille.
The EC held consultations with officials of the West Bengal government departments to frame strategies on how to involve physically disabled voters in the polling process.
Nearly 2.48 lakh voters cast their votes in the Maheshtala Assembly by-election in 111 locations.
The bypoll saw a three-way contest between the Trinamool Congress (TMC), the Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) and the Bharatiya Janata Party. The result will be declared on 31 May.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 18, 2019 Doctors call off strike after meeting with Mamata Banerjee
- Events June 20, 2019 Anxiety Disorders & Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
- Headlines June 18, 2019 Virat Kohli fastest to score 11,000 ODI runs
- Accessibility June 15, 2019 Delhi government failure to implement key RPWD Act provision sign of larger apathy
- Get-hooked June 19, 2019 Love, Marriage & Disability - couples share their stories
- Accessibility June 17, 2019 New foldable ramp at Chennai buses get mixed response
- Get-hooked June 17, 2019 Does parenting change with changing eyesight? - Guest column by Vineet Saraiwala
- Accessibility June 15, 2019 MCI requirement for double certification puts disabled medical aspirants under undue stress
- Headlines June 15, 2019 Pakistan under pressure ahead of India match
- Education June 20, 2019 #ChangeMakers - An idol to many, Elizabeth Philip keeps inspiring through her relentless work
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News