Loss of vision pushed her to launch a successful business as a mental health counselor
May 30, 2018
Kathleen Dwyer-Blair's friends would always tell her that she was a good listener. A quality that helped her become a popular and successful psychotherapist, as well as a well-known businesswoman in New York.
What makes her so interesting is that the turning point in her life came when she had just graduated. Dwyer-Blair had been diagnosed with retinitis pigmentosa when she was five years old. By the time she graduated, her sight had deteriorated gradually.
Retinitis pigmentosa is a rare and incurable genetic disorder that leads to a breakdown and loss of cells in the retina.
Dwyer-Blair realized that she needed to learn how to use a cane. She also met a counselor whose practical and stern attitude stopped her from feeling sorry for herself.
She went on to qualify as a licensed clinical social worker, and became a therapist to prisoners with drug and alcohol issues.
Today she runs her own business in mental health counselling. She is the founder of Nassau Guidance & Counseling, a successful psychotherapy practice.
Dwyer-Blair, who calls herself legally blind, is mobile and independent. She has a Braille writer who puts together her daily to-do list and a service dog. Her incredible compassion and business skills are an inspiration to people who know her.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 16, 2019 Shikhar Dhawan will not be replaced, says Virat
- Accessibility June 15, 2019 Delhi government failure to implement key RPWD Act provision sign of larger apathy
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Lyse Bin Muhammad combines medicine & disability activism with ease
- Get-hooked June 16, 2019 Understanding Fibromyalgia
- Education June 13, 2019 #ChangeMakers - National award winning teacher Manju Arif calls children the biggest inclusion champions
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Wheelchair no barrier for a fit & healthy lifestyle, here's why
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Nominations for 2019 NCPEDP-Mphasis Universal Design Awards are open
- Headlines June 17, 2019 Cricket World Cup – India beats Pakistan
- Events June 11, 2019 Nurturing The Green Week’ 2019 - World Environment day
- Headlines June 14, 2019 India Vs New Zealand abandoned due to rain
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News