Loss of vision pushed her to launch a successful business as a mental health counselor
Kathleen Dwyer-Blair's friends would always tell her that she was a good listener. A quality that helped her become a popular and successful psychotherapist, as well as a well-known businesswoman in New York.
What makes her so interesting is that the turning point in her life came when she had just graduated. Dwyer-Blair had been diagnosed with retinitis pigmentosa when she was five years old. By the time she graduated, her sight had deteriorated gradually.
Retinitis pigmentosa is a rare and incurable genetic disorder that leads to a breakdown and loss of cells in the retina.
Dwyer-Blair realized that she needed to learn how to use a cane. She also met a counselor whose practical and stern attitude stopped her from feeling sorry for herself.
She went on to qualify as a licensed clinical social worker, and became a therapist to prisoners with drug and alcohol issues.
Today she runs her own business in mental health counselling. She is the founder of Nassau Guidance & Counseling, a successful psychotherapy practice.
Dwyer-Blair, who calls herself legally blind, is mobile and independent. She has a Braille writer who puts together her daily to-do list and a service dog. Her incredible compassion and business skills are an inspiration to people who know her.
Watch in Sign Language
- My life is disabled by my environment - Guest column by Diethono Nakhro, disability rights activist
December 17, 2018
- Health Problems in children with Autism
December 16, 2018
- Empowerment of disabled women was the focus of cross disability workshops in Kerala
December 16, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines December 11, 2018 India celebrates first Test win in Australia in 10 years
- Get-hooked December 13, 2018 Come 16 December, Bengaluru will host a car rally for awareness on autism
- Get-hooked December 15, 2018 21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 - Hearing Impairment - Deaf and hard of hearing
- Get-hooked December 12, 2018 Some useful Information about Angelman Syndrome
- Get-hooked December 10, 2018 Understanding Auditory Processing Disorder (APD)
- Accessibility December 11, 2018 The wheelchair has given me wings to fly! - My Take by Dr Divya Singh
- Accessibility December 17, 2018 Disabled travellers raise concern over toilets being shut down in railway platforms
- Headlines December 17, 2018 Indian skipper Virat Kohli strikes 25th test hundred against Australia in style
- Parasports December 13, 2018 Wheelchair kabaddi set to make its presence felt in India
- Events December 12, 2018 Planet Abled Barrier Free Skiing Adventure 2019
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Employment December 11, 2018