Loss of vision pushed her to launch a successful business as a mental health counselor
May 30, 2018
Kathleen Dwyer-Blair's friends would always tell her that she was a good listener. A quality that helped her become a popular and successful psychotherapist, as well as a well-known businesswoman in New York.
What makes her so interesting is that the turning point in her life came when she had just graduated. Dwyer-Blair had been diagnosed with retinitis pigmentosa when she was five years old. By the time she graduated, her sight had deteriorated gradually.
Retinitis pigmentosa is a rare and incurable genetic disorder that leads to a breakdown and loss of cells in the retina.
Dwyer-Blair realized that she needed to learn how to use a cane. She also met a counselor whose practical and stern attitude stopped her from feeling sorry for herself.
She went on to qualify as a licensed clinical social worker, and became a therapist to prisoners with drug and alcohol issues.
Today she runs her own business in mental health counselling. She is the founder of Nassau Guidance & Counseling, a successful psychotherapy practice.
Dwyer-Blair, who calls herself legally blind, is mobile and independent. She has a Braille writer who puts together her daily to-do list and a service dog. Her incredible compassion and business skills are an inspiration to people who know her.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports April 17, 2019 London will now host the ninth World Para Swimming Championship
- Accessibility April 20, 2019 In a first, residents of a mental health centre in Chennai cast their votes. Here's how it happened
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 #AutismPower - Julia's family feature all through April on popular show Sesame Street
- Events April 18, 2019 Planet Autism Art Exhibition
- Headlines April 21, 2019 IPL 2019 - Royals & Capitals win
- Events April 16, 2019 Learning Through Play Workshop
- Get-hooked April 22, 2019 #AutismPower - Arun Prasad inspires young people with autism to live life independently
- Accessibility April 18, 2019 Platforms at Coimbatore railway station will now get lifts
- Events April 18, 2019 Special Summer Camp
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 Road to getting disability certificates filled with barriers for hemophilia patients
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News